General Question

• 8 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
General Question
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:29 »
Ok I got this area staked out for Runners when they go in. I don't want to shell out on a trellis until I see how well they do here so would you tie the runners to the canes and how many beans would you plant for each one? And would I get away with planting onion sets here too? Sorry for all the pics I post it is just easier to explain my thoughts with pictures too.

Cheers Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: General Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:32 »
Difficult to tell scale from your photo Bill.  How far is it between the poles?  If it's less than about 12" I'd probably only put one plant per pole.  If nearer 18" then you'd probably manage up to 2 per pole (perhaps alternate 1 & 2).

I personally wouldn't try to squeeze onions into that space too but you could perhaps try one per gap if you wanted.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:45 »
They are around 12 to 16 inches apart maybe more? I really need to get a measuring stick.

Would you tie the runners to the canes or I was thinking I have roles of garden wire the green stuff I could possibly span the wirer along the cane run? any thoughts would be great.

Cheers Bill

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:02 »
You wont need to tie the runners to anything, they've climb up them of their own accord, however you'd need to tie the canes to something as the tons of them you're going to get will just pull an unsupported cane over.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Gandan57

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:16 »
Is that the sunny side of the fence?

They could get quite dry there, so make sure you keep them watered. A mulch will help but watch for slugs and snails.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:20 »
Runners twist themselves round the canes and climb and will not need tying. The canes need to be at least 6 ft high and will need fastening to the fence. Bean plants are heavy.

Onions will be swamped by the beans before they mature. If you want to grow something else try salad crops e.g. lettuce, radish, rocket. If these are still cropping when it is time to plant the beans then just plant the beans between them. Eventually the beans will shade them out.

Do not start your beans too early. Probably best to start them in pots or modules and plant out. If you sow the beans in early May they should be ready to plant out by the end of the month when frosts have finished. Frost will kill them.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:02 »
Is that the sunny side of the fence?

They could get quite dry there, so make sure you keep them watered. A mulch will help but watch for slugs and snails.

Hi no this part of the fence is more shaded until the afternoon but gets enough light.

Thanks Salmo points taken.

Cheers Bill

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 15:42 »
You wont need to tie the runners to anything, they've climb up them of their own accord, however you'd need to tie the canes to something as the tons of them you're going to get will just pull an unsupported cane over.

That's exactly what I was thinking, DD. If anything, the weight of plants and beans would likely snap those canes.  You could run one continuous length of your garden wire horizontally, wrapping it several times around a cane before moving to the next, and that will offer better support. Do several runs of horizontal wire. And somehow brace the end canes more firmly somehow.

If you can find any sort of netting to fasten to these cross wires, you'll save a lot of work by not having to tie in the bean plants as they're natural scramblers and love to roam everywhere.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 16:30 »
I scrapped that idea I had two medium sized square planters so I made a wigwam ready for the Runners to go in. and have planted my sets of onions along this spot.

Cheers Bill

xx
general question

Started by gallowman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 21:48
by gallowman
xx
A few general questions . . .

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 21:22
by Smudgeboy
xx
Which general fertiliser is best

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 18:20
by craggy
xx
General Advice

Started by Brutus on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 21:04
by Brutus

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 28 queries.