Little Chits?

• 11 Replies

ex-cavator

Little Chits?
« on: March 26, 2011, 09:54 »
I bought my first earlies - Rocket - from Wilkinson's on 13th Feb and immediately laid them out to chit in my south facing conservatory. They started after about a week but growth was very slow. Somebody suggested it might be too light & so after another week or so I moved them into the garage.

The chits are currently about 1cm long and purple, and just don't seem to be growing. Am I doing something wrong? Should I wait until they're longer or would they now be just as well off in the ground?  :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Little Chits?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:34 »
I wouldn't leave them in the garage unless they are right next to a window.  If it's too dark you run the risk of weak chits.

That being said, your chits sound perfectly OK.  Not all varieties have long chits.  My Charlotte spuds have been chitting on the windowsill for several weeks and their chits are generally less than 1 cm long.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gandan57

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 11:43 »
Too much light wouldn`t be a factor.
I had Rocket from Wilkinsons too and they chitted O.K. I know some people say keep them cool to avoid dehydration, but I like to chit them in a warm bright room, above 15 C. Mine never went soft at all.

If you plant each one in a small pot of moist compost with the eyes level with the top of the compost and keep them in a warm light place they will rapidly start chitting and rooting. 3 or 4 weeks later plant out as normal.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:02 »
I don't think you want long chits as they are more likely to break off once planted. You want nice compact chits, hence keeping them in good light.

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 15:18 »
We have noticed that the early potatoes don't seem to have such 'vigorous' & long shoots/chits as the maincrop potatoes, it doesn't seem to effect their growing & cropping.

Gandan57

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 16:06 »
I was given these Lady Christl seed by a professional grower yesterday. He buys them in half tonne bulk bags and they are planted by machine as they are, virtually no chits.
As it`s a bit late I am going to each one in a pot like the one pictured and keep in a warm place to speed things along.
I`ll take more photos to chart their progress.
DSC00346 (1204 x 903) (870 x 653) (860 x 645).jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 16:23 »
That's a lot of faffing around...........why don't you just plant them the same as he will ?

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 20:11 »
He planted his a week or two ago, these are just some left over. It`s just an experiment to see how fast they will grow. It didn`t take long and the cricket was a lost cause.

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 20:22 »
The ground has warmed up a lot down here so I would put them straight in the ground now. Yesterday I dug up some taters left by a previous tenant and they were already growing (no chitting needed there  ;))

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 22:40 »
They started after about a week but growth was very slow.

My seed Potatoes are in the conservatory. They've been there since mid January. The chits are less than 1/2 inch long. Some days it gets up to 25C in there. There isn't any significant wrinkling of the tubers

I don't want the chits to be "longer", the tubers are doing their thing - breaking dormancy, and getting ready to grow as soon as I put them in the ground - I don't want them to show me how fast they can grow! as that would make them a nightmare to plant without breaking the chits off.

ex-cavator

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 23:09 »
Thanks for all your replies - they've gone back in the conservatory, then, and I'll get them in the ground as soon as the warm stuff looks like it's here to stay  ;)

fatcat1955

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 11:30 »
Mine are in the garage(adequate light enters through windows) and i spray once a week with diluted seaweed extract. Most varieties have 20mm dark purple chits except the charlottes which are only 5mm.

xx
Chits

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 10:00
by gavinjconway
xx
Chits up or down?

Started by min200 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 09:22
by horsepooisgood
xx
Chits Away

Started by racol on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 15:04
by randombod
xx
Chits Away

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 18:02
by noshed

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 30 queries.