Too late?.

• 9 Replies

photoboy

• Evolve Photography
Too late?.
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:21 »
Hi, I have been absent from here for a while, and have had big changes! One being I have moved to Warwickshire and now have a new project garden along with a nice paddock. I have allotted my allotment space (currently grass) but am I too late for this year to get it dug over and composted ready for veg?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Too late?.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:33 »
Glyphosate / Roundup, wait a couple of weeks for "the kill", then get the local farmer to plough and tractor-rotavate. Simples!

If the first year you could buy plants from the garden centre, rather than raise your own from seed, which will "gain" you an extra month. (Be careful where you get the plants from though - don't want Clubroot to come in on any Brassicas for example)

photoboy

• Evolve Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:41 »
Well that sounds easy thank you Kristen, but knowing how busy the local farmers are (I'm surrounded by them and have asked several for a bucket of muck to no avail) I think I will have to do what I have done at my previous property, dig the turf out and dig over with some compost, either horse manure or the stuff from the council. Easy in Devon, but I can't find any up here!! Just wondering if I was too late to let is settle and get seeds in?

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:08 »
Even if you are going to dig I would still apply roundup as it will kill couch grass. Once the turf has started to die it will be easier to dig in. You could hire a heavy duty rotovator or employ a garden contractor.

The turf will break down in the soil and you have no need for any muck this year.

stompy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:11 »
The ground only needs a couple of weeks to settle after rotavating, then a quick rake over to level and fine the top layer of soil out and then off you go.
The potatoes can go straight in after rotavating too.

Im in exactly the same boat as you at the moment, just waiting for thr Glyphosate to do it's job then im going to rotavate, the ground will be ready for planting/sowing by the end of April.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:59 »
You could perhaps cut out the "middle man" Farmer and do it yourself.

I reckon that a 50hp mini-tractor with a PTO-driven rotavator would go straight into the ground without ploughing (you'll just have to drive it very slowly so it doesn't have to work too hard). I've hired tractor+rotavator locally on several occasions for about the same price as the biggest walk-behind rotavator that the local HSS shop hires out.

Any other sort of walk-behind rotavator will be very hard work I would reckon.

What you do in future years, once the ground is broken, is then your choice :)

If you want to strip the turf off first, and stack it, that's a good option too . but its hard slow work for a large-ish area, even if you hire a turf-cutter (which in my experience only make the job moderately "easy")
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:01 by Kristen »

bigben

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 14:13 »
I would make a start - you will be able to clear and dig some sections and perhaps strim and cover some with weed fabric to plant pumpkins, sweet corn etc thru. You might as well try to get something from the area. Other than my onions and garlic I have not planted anything direct yet.

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 16:50 »
Be careful planting spuds on ground that was recently grassland, wireworms could be lying in wait.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 17:00 »
Make start with planning for easy veg
Salad leaves only need a small space.
Plan for some runner/french  beans by digging over an area and incorporating compost/rotted manure etc. Also could select another area of courgettes with similar preparation.

You don't need to do it all this year just choose things that need a small area and give a rapid return.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

photoboy

• Evolve Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 17:12 »
Thanks everyone, great advice as always! I will be posting progress pics!

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
Am I too late??

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 12:26
by muntjac

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 29 queries.