How to Grow Camilias

• 10 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
How to Grow Camilias
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:48 »
We just moved house and we have a camelia in the garden.  It looks spindly and isn't blooming this spring.  I fed it about a month ago to stimulate some growth and I am seeing some tiny spikes coming.  Right now it is in an area that gets total shade and there's a pear tree a foot away from it.  I'd sure appreciate some advice what to do with this poor plant.  It's about four foot tall.  Has blue moss on it.   :(
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Debz

Re: How to Grow Camilias
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04 »
Give it a feed.  If it hasn't got buds on it, your not going to get flowers this year.  Tomato food is got for them or any other food that has a similar balance of nutrients.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 13:00 »
Thanks Debz!  Funny you should mention Tomato Food, as that's exactly what I gave it!  I've also spread some used hen bedding beneath it so there's some slow release fertilizing going on.  Every other position I consider transplanting it to has morning sun.  I understand that's a big 'no no'. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 14:52 »
Most camellias like an acid soil although some will tolerate a neutral one. You can tell if it's not happy as the leaves go a pale yellow-green colour. If they do, water it with sequestered iron (comes in sachets). I'm wondering about a good pruning to cut out the spindly growth and encourage good shoots lower down and a balanced shape - someone on here will know if that is a good idea.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 14:57 »
The morning sun has more to do with frost on the flowers then the sun damaging them.  I have 4 of them and they are all in the morning sun as it is difficult to be any other way in this garden.  We also get far later frosts than you so are more likely to have the flowers taken out by the weather.  We do however have a good acid soil so we take our chances and win some and lose some.  One of our camellias hasn't flowered since the year we got it and has much paler leaves than the others even though they are all treated the same.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 14:45 »
This camelia has dark leaves with burnt red on them.  It's just so spindly and sad.  I think I'm going to bite the bullet and move it this weekend before it gets too far along and then give it a bit of a haircut too.  It can't be happy trying to share a space with a stonking big pear tree within two feet of it.  I'll try to find those sachets at the garden centre.  I wonder if it would like some tea? ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 15:36 »
For the last 20 years my mother has been emptying the tea-pot on her baby camelia. It's now around 8' high and about 4' wide. Gets huge bouts of summer sun but little in the winter.

Since first planting the thing years ago she has handed out new plants to all of the family. My mother  is a dab hand at taking cuttings... very scientifically. She "snaps" / pulls or sometimes cuts off a "bit" of stem and sticks it in the nearest available spot where my father is unlikely to notice it (ususally shady and hidden away). Next.. she forgets all about it.

Sometime (months) later she remembers it and, bingo, a new rooted plant.

Never that easy when I try!  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 14:39 »
 :D :D  Some people just have green thumbs!  Well, that does it!  Tea it is, moving it tonight, if I can, and it can soak up all that sun and vitamin D!  I loved that little story.  I bet it will wonder what in the world is happening to it the first time it actually gets some sun on those poor little leaves!  Thank you!! 

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 16:07 »
Make sure you take as much of the root-ball as possible and then soak it thoroughly especially as it will be in a sunnier position and rushing into growth.

Good luck!

LittleRedHen

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:15 »
Okay, it's done!  The camelia is transplanted with a million $$ hole, full of good compost, tea bags dotting all around the top dressing and a good watering in.  Do you know, I swear the plant looks happy! Its leaves are facing right into the sun, and for the first time in its life!  I can't get over what a change already - just over night!  Even her leaves are shinier!

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 20:36 »
Okay, it's done!  The camelia is transplanted with a million $$ hole, full of good compost, tea bags dotting all around the top dressing and a good watering in.  Do you know, I swear the plant looks happy! Its leaves are facing right into the sun, and for the first time in its life!  I can't get over what a change already - just over night!  Even her leaves are shinier!

Jolly good show!!  :) But....... keep pouring that water on every week especially if it's windy or / and dry.  ;)

xx
Will anything grow?

Started by lisajpickering on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 16:14
by Trillium
xx
Will it re-grow

Started by moose on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 15:55
by jezza
xx
what flowers to grow????

Started by binner on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 23:20
by binner
xx
Miricle Grow?

Started by omits on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 19, 2023, 07:05
by jezza

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 30 queries.