Stones!!!

• 8 Replies

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
Stones!!!
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:48 »
Im not sure if this is the right forum sorry.

My soil is very very stoney, no big deal ive just been collecting them to the side for an unknown project.  However yesterday i finally got around to my path and ive managed to get 3 trugs full of stones and rubble from under a tiny patch of nettles.  They were lovingly chucked over a wall last year and ive only just got around to removing them but what can i do with them :blink:  We dont get a rubbish collection and ive no way of getting them to the local tip easily - help! 
Would they be good under any plants for drainage or perhaps building a rockery (never liked them so not looked into it before).

I am so tempted to chuck them back over  :mad:

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: Stones!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:19 »
Stones are good for putting down on your paths between your beds, it prevents you getting muddy feet in the winter.

eli

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:36 »
i've used all the stones/debris from my plot to put in front of my compost bins so the area doesn't get all muddy and churned up and slippy. works perfectly :-)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 17:52 »
Don't remove every stone as they are good at conserving moisture in the ground.  Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 23:26 »
Not sure if you are at home or on a plot, but we use the excess stones to fill the holes in the road at the allotments.
No use waiting for the council to do it, they have no money - no idea what they do with my council tax  ???

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:21 »
They always say that "there's moisture under a stone" so don't get rid of all of them.  I only take out the bigger ones and leave the little ones, except where me carrots and parsnips are  :)  I put them under the lotty hedge  :)

Junie

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:13 »
What sort of size stones have you got, more like pebbles or larger rock type. 
We are keeping all the rock type ones that we find to face a concrete wall with to terrace the garden slightly
If they are pebble types and quite pretty = what about a mosaic in the patio ( I want to do this as in our local towns some of the pavements have black and white pebbles laid out in patterns  it looks lovely)

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:17 »
The ones from my path are fist size but not pebbly shaped so way too big for any building use as they would just topple.  If they were pretty i wouldnt mind so much.

The ones in the ground are a smaller size but you know about it if you hit them with the spade lol.  I have been leaving some but there are soooo many the ones ive taken out havnt really touched the amount there.

We are a four plot lottie so no roads to fill but maybe i should donate them to the council for pot holes :tongue2: we have enough of them around here.

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:12 »
Mine are currently semi graded and pilled.
I'll let you know if I come up with something, so far, the big ones have gone in the snake tank and chick house, to as radiator sort of doodads.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

xx
Soil preparation - how to deal with stones and more stones

Started by kkckkc on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 20:42
by stentman
xx
mowing the grass next to stones

Started by casper on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 22:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.