Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 11:54 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
If water didn't behave in this odd way there would be no life on the planet
Life - but not as we know it Captain!

wellingtons

I don't use chemicals ...
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 12:09 »
... but I don't call myself organic, because of coming from a farming background.  To me there are two methods:

Gung-ho - blast everything with chemicals whenever you wish.  If no chemicals available, use something fuel powered and very noisy.

Natural - work with nature, not against it.  Take good care of your land and the crops. Keep chemicals to an absolute minimum and use only in dire circumstances.  Use elbow grease liberally and give everything a good coat of looking at!

I cannot comfortably use the term organic, because to me organic means the soil association definition, and the associated hoop jumping required.  And to apply the term organic to gardening, when you simply mean not using chemicals isn't really "organic", it's just gardening without chemicals.

I think the label organic is all to easily bunged about these days by producers and people trying to sell us products.  It should mean precisely what it states in farming law.

WG.

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 12:44 »
My tuppence worth ...

I adhere to my own principles and have no problem with anyone who wishes to adhere to theirs.

Given that I add only manure and lime and seeds then I reckon I could meet Soil Association standards - if I wanted to.  I don't remotely feel the need to though.  I have some peat left over from a mushroom-growing experiment and feel quite comfortable adding this to heather beds etc (organic if not totally PC).

I have some circumstances in my favour though :

1. live too far North for some of the nasties I read about on these forums

2. grow mainly herbs and garlic for sale / barter which avoid most pests & indeed help other crops to do so

3. grow smaller amounts of other crops in a non-intensive way for (mostly) our own use.  Makes it easier to accept any losses which do happen

wellingtons

Good point WG ...
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 12:53 »
... I should have said ... that's why I don't call myself organic, and having re-read my post it does look like I'm I think people shouldn't use the term organic.

I would prefer that people were natural rather than gung-ho, especially those on my neighbouring plots, but I do respect the fact that people can garden their own patch however they wish and use whatever terminology they wish to describe their gardening methodology.

I'm in a bit of a rush today, fingers and brain are not necessarily in synch!  And I was trying to explain why you will not find me categorised as organic.

WG.

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 13:03 »
:)  No worries Wellies.  My post wasn't really in response to yours.  When you aren't so rushed, tell me what you mean by "farming law" please.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 17:37 »
I suppose I shouldn't say I worked on residual pesticide analysis for Shell Research when they had research labs in Kent.  No...  I'd best not admit to that  :wink:

Spon

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 21:38 »
When Adam was in short trousers and I was studying Chemistry for my GCE 'O' level, I asked the teacher why water was wet when it is made of two gasses. He expelled me from the classroom so I still do not understand chemistry.

Scribbler

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 23:08 »
Spon's post only serves to confirm that in our day education was much more rounded.

So rounded in fact, that the teachers often seemed to have ZERO grasp at all about what their pupils either thought, believed, understood or were interested in learning about.

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

sparky

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 02:40 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "Esme"
best stick to alcohol for drinking... :lol:
Yeah, at least C2H5OH behaves like a proper molecule.    Too much though & the researcher behaves like a proper idiot!  :wink:  :wink:

Easpecially when mixed with an H2O2 Blonde :lol:

WG.

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 08:37 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 17:34 »
When I was a lab rat, I had to buy some seriously pure water for some experiment from the Sigma chemical co.  And being Britain, I then had to fill in a lengthy H&S analysis form.  I actually had to write on this thing that if you got any water in your eye or on your skin, you had to "rinse it with copious amounts of water"...  :roll:

WG.

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 17:38 »
I like it  :D

andyk

• Experienced Member
Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 17:59 »
drink water have you seen what fish do in it, is rain water for me

mkhenry

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 20:32 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Water!  Dodgy stuff!!!  Never trust a chemical with molecular weight of only 18 which manages to remain in liquid or solid form until 100 degs Celsius (at 1 atmosphere of pressure).  Add to that : the solid form floats on the liquid form which is denser at 4 degs C than it is below that.  Two covalent bonds and a suspicious intra-molecular hydrogen bond to boot.  Steer well clear of the stuff, I'd say.

When extolling the virtue of Water and trying to condemn drinking alcohol the Sally Army Captain said."If you put a worm in water it will survive but put the same worm in whiskey it will die.What does that tell you." The local enibreate replied " if you dont want worms drink Whiskey"

Terrible stuff that water :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

andyh4

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 11:32 »
Don't confuse the Chemistry definition of organic with that used in gardening.

Lime (like bordeaux mixture = copper sulphate) is gardening organic but Chemistry inorganic
whereas
Organophosphorous insecticides (or worse) are chemically organic, but most definitely not accepted by the organic gardening movement.
Andy

xx
is ant powder safe?

Started by andy43 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 16:03
by Roll Roll
xx
safe to plant veggies in soil that has been previously treated with ant powder?

Started by 19004317 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2024, 14:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
What's it safe / not safe to plant after garlic?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:07
by DD.
xx
bordeaux mix?

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 21:20
by plot103

Page created in 1.107 seconds with 29 queries.