Bordeaux Powder safe?

• 33 Replies

slopym

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« on: August 16, 2007, 21:33 »
Hi all

When my tomatoes caught Blight I pulled them all up except three plants which did not seem too badly affected.

I read somewhere that Bordeaux powder can stop blight and on the container it says to add the powder at the end of July and it can prevent Blight.

I powdered my remaining plants and the traces of blight disappeared! I'm now getting tomatos from these plants.

Does this really work? Could I have saved all my crop with this? And furthermore is it safe?

I bought the Bordeaux powder years ago for no reason other than its meant to be organic and  might come in use. I know its used with fruit,  but it does say it can help prevent blight, if I had applied it in late July (probably about the time blight started) I might be inundated with toms now!

I understand it is dangerous for animals and humans the active ingredient is Copper sulphate.

Is it safe to eat the fruit after using this, if so, why don't people use it?

:?:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 21:58 »
The active ingredient is copper sulphate, which is very toxic and dangerous to wild life.

Organic does not necessarily mean good or safe  :!:

muntjac

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 22:09 »
i use it myself so you can decide your own path with this product .i close all the windows in the greenhouse and use a puff spray and it is then a good idea to close the doors for an hour .  then your ok to go in open the windows and let it clear
still alive /............

WG.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 22:24 »
Thanks for that WG.  Your glossary of terms says "as a last resort"

You might find this information interesting:

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/copper-sulfate-ext.html

How can a chemical like copper sulphate be considered organic  :?:

WG.

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 23:24 »
I don't use it.  The "last resort" wording was cribbed from the Organic Catalogue page

mushroom

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 06:29 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

How can a chemical like copper sulphate be considered organic  :?:

I'd say this depends on context. It is an inorganic chemical but in the context of "organic gardening" I'd guess "organic" means "not complex and not derived from e.g oil".

It is a simple chemical (just like table salt - would you consider salt "organic" in this context?) but as others have pointed out, a poisonous one.

wildeone

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:27 »
So i expect that the 'organic' tomatoes that sell for a bomb in shops are still sprayed with chemicals! but just chemicals that have got through the organic loopholes! :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

mushroom

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 09:51 »
Quote from: "wildeone"
So i expect that the 'organic' tomatoes that sell for a bomb in shops are still sprayed with chemicals! but just chemicals that have got through the organic loopholes! :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

When working in the acedemic or industrial chemical field, the terms "organic" and "inorganic" have precisely defined, specific meanings. Basically, in this context, organic chemistry is carbon-based (more usually hydrocarbon based), inorganic covers everything else.

Additionally "sprayed with chemicals" can mean anything. Water is a chemical. The air we breathe is a mixture of chemicals.

My personal opinion is that "organic gardening" needs another word or term to describe itself, because what it means currently is dependent on your viewpoint, and you don't want that if you're going to describe a particular way of doing things.

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 10:28 »
Hmmm. Food for thought.......
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 10:39 »
Water!  Dodgy stuff!!!  Never trust a chemical with molecular weight of only 18 which manages to remain in liquid or solid form until 100 degs Celsius (at 1 atmosphere of pressure).  Add to that : the solid form floats on the liquid form which is denser at 4 degs C than it is below that.  Two covalent bonds and a suspicious intra-molecular hydrogen bond to boot.  Steer well clear of the stuff, I'd say.

Esme

• http://www.myspace.com/esmewitch
Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 11:17 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Water!  Dodgy stuff!!!  Never trust a chemical with molecular weight of only 18 which manages to remain in liquid or solid form until 100 degs Celsius (at 1 atmosphere of pressure).  Add to that : the solid form floats on the liquid form which is denser at 4 degs C than it is below that.  Two covalent bonds and a suspicious intra-molecular hydrogen bond to boot.  Steer well clear of the stuff, I'd say.

Hee hee - it's ok for washing in but just to be on the safe side best stick to alcohol for drinking... :lol:
All mushrooms are edible - some only once.

mushroom

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 11:27 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

another annoyance is the way that the word "chemical" has become synonymous with the word "bad". Everything is made of chemicals!! "£$%^&*&$%£$%^&!!!!

WG.

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 11:28 »
Quote from: "Esme"
best stick to alcohol for drinking... :lol:
Yeah, at least C2H5OH behaves like a proper molecule.    Too much though & the researcher behaves like a proper idiot!  :wink:  :wink:

Scribbler

Bordeaux Powder safe?
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 11:42 »
Two things.

If water didn't behave in this odd way there would be no life on the planet at all. Don't know where I picked up that gem though.

And organic is generally acknowledged as meaning using no "artificial" weedkillers, fertilisers or insecticides. So beer instead of slug pellets etc., soapy water for aphids and compost to feed the soil. In tune with nature an all that.

But there again, life is rarely that simple, and there's bound to be somebody out there who will differ.

. yeh but isnt real friendly debating .. FUN :lol:  and actually sand is better to wash in than water .it defoliates the skin as well  :tongue2:
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

xx
is ant powder safe?

Started by andy43 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 16:03
by Roll Roll
xx
safe to plant veggies in soil that has been previously treated with ant powder?

Started by 19004317 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2024, 14:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
What's it safe / not safe to plant after garlic?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:07
by DD.
xx
Bordeaux mix

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 19:06
by surbie100

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 37 queries.