what do you think is a fair price for ex bats

• 7 Replies

compie

what do you think is a fair price for ex bats
« on: March 18, 2011, 15:41 »
i rang my local rescue site and was told a minimum donation of £4.50 per bird so i did not get any my friend rang same place just picked up 10 hens total donation £5.00 grrr

rachelr

Re: what do you think is a fair price for ex bats
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 15:49 »
I do find it differs greatly from one centre to another. One lady round here wantsd £7 and another takes £3. If you use the bhw they usually charge £3.

It is supposed to just cover the cost of retrieval not anything else so maybe the person you rang just wanted a donation and it was not set in stone.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 15:52 »
I would gladly pay £5.00 per hen if I could rescue some ex bats.

Getting ex bats is not about getting hens on the cheap, it is about giving them a chance to do some chickeny things - in some cases learn how to be an actual chicken, rather than an egg laying machine.

Remember that the rescue centres have to fund everything (transport, paying the farmer, perhaps housing and feeding them for a short time, vet treatment etc as well as operating costs, advertising, electric etc).

Unfortunately I've yet to hear of ex bats being rehomed in France (they must all go to the pet food factories), otherwise I would happily have a small flock of them.

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 18:08 »
Same here in Spain Casey, never heard of battery hens being rehomed.  We had 19 new chicks given to he last year, they, along with about 150 more were smuggled out of hen rearing place.... It was a factory for meat hens, so the female chicks were going to be killed!  I dont know how so many chicks were smuggled out! .  We ended up with 19 hens and 1 cockerel, he eventually went in the freezer!  Our other neighbour bought 12 hens from us (pol)  we still have 4   they are huge, i dread to think what they weigh, if we ate one she would last for days!
Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 18:33 »
Can I just ask what the reason is for you getting rescues? Will they be as pets and in retirement or are they for eggs?
I paid £4.50 per rescue hen plus an extra donation (and did a round trip of around 100 miles) purely as it is a cause I believe in. Only 2 of the 4 still lay as 2 of them had lashes within a couple of weeks but as I have them as pets it doesn't bother me - what they lack in eggs they make up for in personality.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 19:36 »
BHWT ask for a min donation of 4 pounds per lady.  Give as much as you can.
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

compie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 11:48 »
there were for pets

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 12:04 »
in which case surely it isn't too much to give these birds a lovely home where you can watch them change from forlorn, bedraggled, floppy combed birds into lovely bolshy full of personality chickens. They are very inquisitive and love to chat away to you and give you back far more in amusement than it costs to fetch them.
However I do agree that your friend should have been charged the same amount that you were quoted as the donation is to cover all the costs concerned, paying the farmer, transport, housing and care for the ones who are too ill, cost of phone calls etc.
I hope you still decide to get some  :)

xx
help on a fair price...

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 23:33
by chooknewbie
xx
Duck question ... is it fair..

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 11:14
by Kathie
xx
Advice needed, noisy hen but to be fair I only got her today

Started by mooie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 13:37
by mooie
xx
Day 1 for my Ex-Bats

Started by tezzer on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 19:04
by tezzer

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 32 queries.