Improving quality of eggs

• 23 Replies

Vecten

• Experienced Member
Re: Improving quality of eggs
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 20:48 »
To be fair I can't tell the difference in taste, but my family and friends say they are far superior to shop bought eggs. I've obviously just got poor taste buds or something :blush:

Yes, I have had that too. Neighbours tell me my eggs are much better than bought eggs. I suspect there is an alterior motive there.  :)

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 20:52 »
Open almost any book on keeping chickens and it will tell you that your eggs will taste much better than supermarket eggs. This is absolute nonsense and anyone who believes that must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

The only thing that will affect the taste of the egg will be the age of the egg and the feed of the chicken that laid the egg.

I dont know what you are comparing your eggs to but the answer lies in the feed.

I don't live in cloud cuckoo land vecten, but I think the taste of homegrown eggs is different to supermarket eggs.

for one, my eldest daughter's MIL didn't like eggs, said they tasted fishy, but after she had tasted ours, they started to grow their own chickens!  Commercial feed must have more fish meal or something in it.

And 2, my customer in the village who has 4-6 dozen eggs a week has 3 daughters aged 5 to 11.  They not only refuse to eat any shop bought eggs, they won't even eat eggs from their friends chickens down in Essex as they say they don't taste as good as the ones they get from me.

They have even put 3 cooked eggs on a plate and the 5 year old said I'm not eating THAT one, its not one of grannieannie's eggs.  How do you explain that one?  Because I can't.

Hmm .... Do you by any chance write books?

I wish!!!!!    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you should. Just don't say your eggs are better than shop bought eggs, or I won't buy it.  :D :D :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 20:54 »
I never say my eggs are better than shop bought ones, my customers do!

I just KNOW they are!!   :D :D :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 20:59 »
I've obviously just got poor taste buds or something :blush:

Yes, I have had that too. Neighbours tell me my eggs are much better than bought eggs. I suspect there is an alterior motive there.  :)

Maybe that is it. I, like many think that the eggs from my own are far superior to anything you can buy. I can't go back so just do without when they are not laying. That may of course be because they are duck eggs and just blow chicken eggs out of the water (in my opinion). My customers pay above what they could in the supermarket and I never have enough. Then again some hate duck eggs but needless to say never darken my door! ;)
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

RichardA

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 21:22 »
food affects taste of eggs. We lived in the middle east for some years and chucks were fed on any old scraps swept up from the markets. Grapefruit tasting egg is something you will never forget.
We have ducks and I think a proportion of corn, pref maize mixed with the layer pellets is good for taste and I agree duck eggs are far far superior to chuck eggs.
R

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 21:26 »
Never let them get onto the garlic patch! Garlicky omlette is great but the cake was definately odd!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 22:26 »
I'm really looking forward to my first eggs for this very reason.  We usually buy free-range organic eggs from the supermarket so I've never been convinced that home-grown eggs would be very different.  But my girls are on pasture (I can't believe the amount of grass a little chicken will eat in a day!) and they are also getting a fortified grain mix as an all-you-can-eat buffet.

When I open the grain sack it smells just like my home made multi-grain bread.  That's not surprising since a lot of the ingredients are the same, including the molasses.

Maybe we will be able to eat their eggs without toast - the ingredients will already be in the egg!

viettaclark

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 23:16 »
It's definitely the greens!
I've found the yolks are deeper yellow and the flavour is better when the grass starts growing again!

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 08:25 »
I hate it in the winter when I have to buy eggs. I agree with Grannie Annie in that my friends grandchildren will only eat my eggs. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
poor quality eggs

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 08:20
by Sassy
xx
egg quality

Started by Beano on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2013, 09:35
by grinling
xx
change in egg quality

Started by marygall on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 21:12
by marygall
xx
Inferior shell quality

Started by poppies on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 11:23
by poppies

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 28 queries.