egg quality

• 4 Replies

Beano

egg quality
« on: December 09, 2013, 15:01 »
Can anyone here help me with "egg quality"? My Calder Ranger which is this years has never layed good quality eggs. The egg white seems very thin and almost like water. It does not adhere to the yolk at all when I fry them.
The egg is edible and tasty but the white is a mess after cooking. Her eggs have been like this from the start (Summer this year) and have not improved. I dont know whether it's a coinsidence but this is the chicken that had a bald patch on her neck. It's still there not worse or better. She is happy and healthy in herself and it's a shame that her eggs are like they are.
Does anyone know why and what to do to improve her eggs?
El.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: egg quality
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:29 »
probably not a lot - I am assume you are feeding her a good quality layers pellets with only a small amount of treats in the evening (if any). Also I assume you have a pot of mixed grit and crushed oyster shell available at all times.

I have found my older warrens/isas/goldlines etc have runnier whites but not when they were young.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:42 »
Joyfull's advice is good. As she says some hens do not lay good eggs. I had one who didn't - she was top of the pecking order and all the others laid excellent quality eggs :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beano

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:47 »
Thanks for the replies. I have been keeping an eye on her and have never seen her eat the layers pellets. All the others have a go. She seems more interested in what she gan scratch or pull out of the ground. She's not at the bottom of the pecking order and when it comes to treats is the first one there. She looks healthy and is very active, scratching and digging around. I'll try and fool her into thinking that pellets are a treat and make a porridge out of them to see if that encourages her. It's a shame because she layes a lot of eggs. I use them for baking so at least they dont get wasted.
Merry Christmas, Nadolig hapus.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:35 »
has  she ever had a runny nose or bubbly eyes or sneezing fit? Only hen I had with runny egg white had mycoplasma.
you could keep her in to see if she is eating pellets, mine come and go throughout the day

xx
change in egg quality

Started by marygall on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 21:12
by marygall
xx
Inferior shell quality

Started by poppies on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 11:23
by poppies
xx
What is a good quality hen food?

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 21:32
by TeaPots
xx
Improving quality of eggs

Started by Chopperone on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 08:25
by Sassy

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 37 queries.