dismal onion seeds again-when to plant out?

• 25 Replies

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
dismal onion seeds again-when to plant out?
« on: March 15, 2011, 15:53 »
What am I doing wrong? Everything else I try to grow from seed sprouts no problem. This year I have four sprouted onion seeds out of a whole packet. Four.

I have them on a windowsill in a low plastic box with compost. Everything else (tomatoes, chilis, artichokes, herbs, even apple pips) has come up fine on the same windowsill.

I think it might be onion sets from now on! :)

compostqueen

Re: dismal onion seeds again-when to plant out?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 17:24 »
Is the compost warmed up before use, as seeds hate cold compost. Just a thought

Also, does it say on the packet to sow now?  I failed with some onion seeds in Jan but succeeded with a March sowing. 

Also not all seeds germinate in the same number of days!  They are all different, so don't give up on them. Re-visit the packet instructions and check you've sown them as set out  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 17:34 »
Mine germinated in 7 days (this year and last) in a propagator. My seed packet says 15C-20C (i.e. propagator) for early sowings

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 17:52 »
What does onions in fastest is too much watering/too damp soil mix. Ideally they just need an initial soaking (not overhead watering) and left to get on with it. The mix can be lightly damp and onions will still thrive so do check how moist your soil mix is. The only time you need to water is when you poke a finger into the soil mix and find it's getting fairly dry (not just a little bit dry, but noticeably drier.

Onions also appreciate air circulation and perhaps your container lids are on too tight and causing fungus problems. This year I seeded my onions on top of the soil mix, pressed them down lightly, then topped the lot with a thin layer of perlite (after I'd soaked the mix). A film of cling wrap (cat proofing) sat loosely on top and they germinated in a week and are going strong 3 weeks later. Soon I'll add a backer board of aluminum foil to spread out light better for them.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 18:14 »
I germinated mine in an unheated spare bedroom (within a week), just a light misting of water when sown, with a plastic propagator lid on top until they came through. After the lid came off, I just misted them once a day or less, no more than that.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 18:45 »
Mine germinated very well and were nowhere near as cosseted as yours so Trillium is no doubt right about treating them too well!

However, since transplanting into modules and putting them in the cold greenhouse they've just sat there doing nothing (for about 4 weeks or more!)

Last time I checked on here I wasn't the only one not exactly running away for safety from the rampant growth but I don't know whether that's still the case!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 18:53 »
Sure is the case here!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 18:55 »
However, since transplanting into modules and putting them in the cold greenhouse they've just sat there doing nothing (for about 4 weeks or more!)

Last time I checked on here I wasn't the only one not exactly running away for safety from the rampant growth but I don't know whether that's still the case!

Certainly is for me. Mine were sown back in the start of Feb, came through fast but haven't really done an awful lot since then. I've started hardening them off, in the hope they'll suddenly surprise me with a spurt of growth, but no sign so far. I'm a bit worried about leaving them out in my very cold greenhouse (missing glass) because they're forecasting more low overnight temps this week.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 19:31 »

Certainly is for me. Mine were sown back in the start of Feb, came through fast but haven't really done an awful lot since then. I've started hardening them off, in the hope they'll suddenly surprise me with a spurt of growth, but no sign so far. I'm a bit worried about leaving them out in my very cold greenhouse (missing glass) because they're forecasting more low overnight temps this week.

Sure is the case here!

This could turn into an "Overwintering home-grown onion sets thread!"  :unsure:

I'm going to keep the faith; I'd never grown leeks until last year and they turned out fine so maybe onions from seeds is the same long (nervous?) journey (but where are those folk who actually know what to do and expect?)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 19:32 »
Mine are just sat there as well, in the cold greenhouse but fleeced at night.
The only improvement is that mine have finally decided to stand up - they were flopping all over the tray, so they do look a bit healthier :) but no where near ready to plant out  :unsure:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 19:39 »
When you guys say "They are just sat there" all that happens, after pricking out, is that a rather innocuous additional "leaf" tubular-thing comes up from the base - so you have two instead of the original "crook neck".

It doesn't look very dramatic - just maybe you've missed it?

Then after that they fatten up a bit (well, eventually quite a lot actually). And then they get underway some more.

So the outward signs are not all that significant, unlike say Tomatoes that throw out another-pair-of-leaves every so often, and you can actually count up the number of pairs of leaves :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 19:48 »
When can they be planted out kristen?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 20:28 »
hahahaha .. you guys are asking ME? !!

My dates for last year were:

14-Feb-2010 Sown
19-Feb-2010 Germinated
16-Mar-2010 Pricked out
05-May-2010 Planted

My recollection is that I planted out very late (because of other commitments). However, nonetheless, I got a fantastic crop.

This year:

16-Jan-2011 First-early-batch sown
19-Jan-2011 Germinated
25-Jan-2011 Pricked out

13-Feb-2011 Second batch sown
19-Feb-2011 Germinated
26-Feb-2011 Pricked out

so this year I have been less lazy and pricked out after a couple of weeks, whereas last year I ignored them for a month

Joy Larcom says "Plant out in mid-to-late Spring at 2-to-3 leaf stage" and Dr H says to plant out (indoor-sown) in April

Oh Bother! I've picked up the seed packets to see what they say :(

I'm growing three varieties (all Suttons):

Ailsa Craig - sow Jan or Mar. Plant out in March (how does THAT work if SOWN in March? :( )
Sweet Spanish Yellow - sow late Feb to end Apr. Plant out late May / early June
F1 Kamal - sow Feb-Mar, plant out May-Jun :o

Take you pick!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 21:02 »
Thanks Kristen; you have just made at least 3 Mods a bit less worried (if not actually full of confidence!) :)

(Just in case; first name Kristen, last name ?? ?? , address ?? ?? ??)  :unsure:  :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 21:05 »
(Just in case; first name Kristen, last name ?? ?? , address ?? ?? ??)  :unsure:  :lol:

No!

first name ?? ??, last name ?? ?? , address ?? ?? ??

:D

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion seeds

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 07:36
by Benandbill
xx
Onion seeds

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 09:05
by JayG
xx
My onion seeds

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2011, 06:53
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 32 queries.