Can you use rose prunings as cuttings ?

• 12 Replies

garddwr

Can you use rose prunings as cuttings ?
« on: March 12, 2011, 21:01 »
I need to prune a big old shrub rose for someone and I was wondering although its a bit late and there's buds on it could I use the prunings as hardwood cuttings as taken in autumn/winter ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Can you use rose prunings as cuttings ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 21:04 »
My instinct is that it probably wouldn't work, as roses are grafted onto rootstocks.  But, nothing ventured ...  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 21:53 »
You can take hardwood cuttings from old roses, but as you say it's usually done in autumn. You've nothing to lose by trying though  -  can you put them in somewhere shady? it may make the difference  :unsure:

garddwr

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 23:26 »
You can take hardwood cuttings from old roses, but as you say it's usually done in autumn. You've nothing to lose by trying though  -  can you put them in somewhere shady? it may make the difference  :unsure:

Yes I should be able to find a shady spot behind somewhere :) might as well stick them in some compost than throw them away. Does the fact the plant is now in bud reduce the chance of rooting ?

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 23:35 »
I'd plonk them straight into the ground and leave them for ages.... a year or more maybe.

My mother has a knack with taking cuttings mostly at the wrong time of year.... I guess it's due to the huge number of things she sticks into shady spots that something takes every now and then.

Alwasy worth a try.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sarajane

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:31 »
never done it myself but my aunt regularly takes rose cuttings.  she cuts them about 12 inches long and puts at least 6 inches into the ground, somewhere shady.  Dont think I would use compost though as it will dry out too quickly .  If you are pruning you could try a few.  Nothing to lose.

Junie

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:45 »
I only discovered you could take cuttings last autumn, when a neighbour phoned to see if I wanted some pruning offcuts, I stuck them in the ground  ( Can't remember when) covered them with large jam jars and now at least half are shooting out.
My Dad used to grow and show hundreds of roses and was a RNRS judge and I only ever ever saw him bud from stock, never take cuttings.  I researched and it would appear that roses taken from cuttings are not as hardy as those done 'the proper' way, so may ned some winter protection.

I'd find a corner somewhere and give them a go - you've not got much to lose and may gain some new rose bushes!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:03 »
It may well work Junie but I think roses are often/sometimes grafted onto different root stocks to give them vigor. Not an expert by any means  ::) but it's a bit of fun so why not give it a go.  ;)

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 17:08 »
I pruned my roses at the end of Autumn and just out of interest cut the prunings up and stuck them in the ground. Just over half of them have new growth now. I think learner may be right though. I now have several sticks with buds coming off them but I can't imagine how they could end up being like a proper bush with a decent rootstock. It's fun to try these things though and is not hard work. We are all on a learning process and trying things is the best way to learn. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 18:08 »
modern roses don't make very good roots it seems, but the old varieties can grow strong roots, because they are more like wild roses :)

Junie

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 18:37 »
modern roses don't make very good roots it seems, but the old varieties can grow strong roots, because they are more like wild roses :)

thats good news, mine are quite old varieties I think!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 18:38 »
 :) that's good then 

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 20:48 »
............We are all on a learning process and trying things is the best way to learn. :)

Never a truer word said  ;)  :)

xx
Rose Cuttings

Started by Axe Victim on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 13:37
by chrissie B
xx
Rose cuttings

Started by LilacSandy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 08:55
by LilacSandy
xx
watering rose cuttings

Started by karlooben on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 20:34
by karlooben
xx
Rose softwood cuttings

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 17:02
by Spana

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 31 queries.