Blight - The fightback

• 6 Replies

ruffmesiter_69

Blight - The fightback
« on: August 14, 2007, 21:28 »
Hey there,

as you are aware blight has devesated our tomatoes and has killed the majority of the plants, however cutting the dead material out and allowing new growth to form has rescued the day. As we picked the first sucessful fruits.

As you can see there is a lot of blight still there but its not spreading and  eadible fruits are beginning to be plentiful.

Other news this week is, the magnitude of pumpkins, onion harvests, a major weed, and continued harvests.

Regards
Lottieblogs

WG.

Blight - The fightback
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 21:34 »
Reckon your swedes need thinning mate  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Blight - The fightback
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 21:39 »
Yes Ruffy, I seem to be keeping on top of my tom blight too at the moment.  But as I've got a load of fruits on my toms, I'm not letting any new growth form, rather trying to concentrate on gettig all the goodness into what I've got on there and getting them ripe.  

So I'm taking off any new growth and stopped the tom plants where they are at the moment.  I've also taken off a few flowering trusses that haven't set fruit yet.

All we can do is keep trying eh????

noshed

Blight - The fightback
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 22:21 »
My toms are just romping away uncontrollably. Everyone else's are nice and tidy and tied up. Anarcho-toms.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

crowndale

Blight - The fightback
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33 »
My toms got blight too so I stripped off all the foiliage and waited and so far most toms have developed well though a few still went manky.  next year hopefully will be better, this year was an improvement on last so it can only get better, I hope! My swedes have all been eaten.  two days ago there were only two left that looked healthy, this morning one very sorry specimen remains, ditto to the one remaining little gem.  Been slugged despite nematodes.  Don't think anything can survive the slugs this year!  And my last batch of strawbs, humungous sized strawbs and every last one eaten by slugs and woodlice, gutted coz they looked really tasty.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

ruffmesiter_69

Blight - The fightback
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 20:14 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
My toms got blight too so I stripped off all the foiliage and waited and so far most toms have developed well though a few still went manky.  next year hopefully will be better, this year was an improvement on last so it can only get better, I hope! My swedes have all been eaten.  two days ago there were only two left that looked healthy, this morning one very sorry specimen remains, ditto to the one remaining little gem.  Been slugged despite nematodes.  Don't think anything can survive the slugs this year!  And my last batch of strawbs, humungous sized strawbs and every last one eaten by slugs and woodlice, gutted coz they looked really tasty.

b****y pests hey?

Sally A

Blight - The fightback
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 20:28 »
Vicious haircuts imposed on the blighty toms (the italians) seems to have stopped it in it's tracks.

The one moneymaker I was worried about cos there is a dark patch on the main stem, seems to be thriving.

So am keeping  daily eye on things, but hopefully have beaten it.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Blight

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 19:33
by sunshineband
xx
Blight?

Started by Solidthegreat on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 21:33
by acwid
xx
This is blight!!!

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 15:41
by New shoot

Page created in 0.771 seconds with 28 queries.