Blight

• 11 Replies

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
Blight
« on: January 07, 2013, 16:49 »
Do any council run or privately owned sites have any ruling about blight, for example asking growers to cut them down once blight has commenced? This could reduce it spreading, last year it was a plague and about a quarter of all plots just left all their rows standing!  Is it a reasonable request to ensure people respond to blight.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Blight
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 16:52 »
Not on ours - voluntary managed. leased from council.

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 16:55 »
yes   ours have a rule,if there not seen to in a few daye the council get to do it themselves and charge for this

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 16:56 »
Council owned here, and there's no rule.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 17:11 »
First year that our site was opened the owner sprayed for Blight as soon as got a blight warning from a local farmer - there was blue murder from some plot holders.  Next year he left it and there was blue murder from the same people from the previous year because their potatos fell foul of blight - can't really win!!  Last year it was my turn to have blue murder!!!  He introduced a rule that you have to remove at first sign of blight but one of my neighbours very kindly removed all the hulms and stacked them in the compost heap beside my plot and they were there for a few days before anyone noticed (luckly I had sprayed and managed to stay blight free until August when they were a decent size).  This years rule is remove and destroy off site but most of us are starting on the blight resistant varieties in prep for the outlawing of blight spray.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 14:44 »
We are council owned and there are no rules, bit of a * really, i chopped mine down to help reduce the spread where as others just left theirs.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 15:02 »
No rules on our site either. I lost about a third of my crop to blight last year and most others on our site were the same. Some removed deseased haulms and some didn't but I'm not sure it would have made much difference either way last year as things were so bad. We have a lot of farmland within a couple of miles of our site and whole acres of potatoes were blighted and left to rot in the fields  :(
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 18:48 »
Should I recommend to the council that's runs and owns my allotment that action should be taken or am I wasting my time ?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 19:02 »
You could try but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

We don't have any such rule, and to amend the contracts takes over a year to do so (sufficient notice has to be given) at minimum.  Then there's the question of ensuring everyone knows what blight looks like, making sure everyone knows that blight is around at any one particular time, and then enforcement.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Stewpot

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 13:36 »
If you spray against blight you may be ok, but 2012 was as bad as it gets. You can not lay the law down about cutting the haulms back. Allotmenteering is as good a hobby as it gets, we do not want to get into to many rules and regulations. But gardeners must use their common sence.

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 19:21 »
Our site doesn't have a rule, but when I took on the plot, the secretary told me that if I got blight, I should remove the infected tops, bag them up and take them home and put them in the council compost bin. She made it clear that leaving the blighted plants would just help spread to my neighbours.

I think it could be confusing for some if they are not 100% sure if they have blight, but I don't think allotments are usually the place where people are shy about giving some advice  :D
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 19:33 »
No rule here on our council owned site... wish there was though  :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Blight

Started by Diggerpete on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 09:39
by chicken soup
xx
Blight

Started by Diggerpete on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 22:01
by Paul Plots
xx
BLIGHT!!!

Started by Limey153 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 11:55
by Lady Lottie

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 30 queries.