Squash pest build up? (etc)

• 4 Replies

stompy

Squash pest build up? (etc)
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:24 »
I will be having a 5 bed 5 year rotation on my new plot.
What i want to know is, do Squashes Courgetes (etc) have any disaease/pest build up problems like alot of other veg (brassicas/clubroot) do?

I was thinking of having a 4 year rotation and a dedicated Squash bed and feeding the squash bed heavily each year with manure and BFB.
This will just make the general rotation easier.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Squash pest build up? (etc)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 14:16 »
They don't tend to build up specific pests but I still don't think it's a good idea to grow them in the same bed every year. You would end up depleting the soil, despite adding manure and FB&B     (that's what happens to greenhouse soil eventually where toms are grown every year :( )

Could you swap some peas/beans (or something like that) into that bed now and again :unsure:

stompy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 14:45 »
I can rotate them, thats not a problem.
It just meant that i could build structures for the climbing Curcurbit varietys and set the bed up to get the best from the plants.
Rather than having to compromise on the feeding and manuring  for the likes of root crops (etc)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 14:52 »
Change a couple of bucketfuls of soil from the planting stations every now and then, would seem another option then :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 14:53 »
I grow winter squashes anywhere I think I can fit them in but my courgettes are grown every year in the same small brick built bed. One year one of the plants got mosaic virus and I was concerned what would happen the next year, but there were no subsequent problems.

Continual re-growing in the same place is not good gardening practice but cucurbits in  general are not prone to many persistent pests and diseases. I usually swap some of the soil in the bed with other soil from the garden, as well as adding compost and fertilser, which makes me feel better if not the courgettes!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

question
to build or not to build...

Started by jessica-a on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 20:25
by Susan K
xx
How to build a VERY raised bed?

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2006, 19:29
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
DD Sorry to be a pest again !!

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 14:49
by flowergirl
xx
help with this pest!

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 16:45
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.904 seconds with 38 queries.