New - help!

• 9 Replies

MuddyDoris

New - help!
« on: March 08, 2011, 19:05 »
Hi everyone

I have just got my first plot and I am so excited but also kinda overwhelmed.  I really don't know where to start! Is there a calendar anywhere to tell me what I should be doing every month of the year?

I am hoping to get down there at the weekend to start digging my beds because I have heard I should be starting to plant things soon. I have lots of questions like:

- how far apart do I put the seeds?
- does one seed = one leek etc.
- do they all come up at once, or do they grow gradually?
- are there any essentials I need?

Does anyone grown flowers as well as herbs? Can anyone recommend a place to get a shed?

I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Becci W

Re: New - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 21:02 »
Congratulations in getting your plot. Sounds like you could do with doing a lot of reading! I found johns book and the articles etc on this website really useful. I found planning my plot and learning the basics was really important when I first started mine. Ask for advice from your fellow plot holders as well. The spacing for seeds is on each packet. I made john's measuring stick to help me with spacing. I got my shed from my local freecycle.Look up companion planting for flowers, refer to your allotment contract( if you have one) re:percentage of flowers to veg. Good luck!

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 21:05 »
Buy John's book on what to grow month by month.  It's available from here  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 21:08 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 22:56 »
Slow and steady brings rewards.  Looks like you have a bit of reading to do, it might seem very daunting right now but you'll learn an awful lot once you start putting things into practice.

Good luck and, most importantly, enjoy

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 23:00 »
Try this sowing chart too - it's very useful... Click here  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Benandbill

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:19 »
MuddyDoris.  You probably need to relax.  Just do a bit at a time.  That was the best advice anyone gave me when I started as I was so excited and wanting to do everything right and get it right first time etc that I was almost getting into a panic.  Remember it's a passtime and you're doing it from pleasure,  Even the best gardners on our site tell me they make mistakes.  We only got ours last April and i'm excited again now. 

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

Get a few seed trays cheap from your pound shops, look at the back of the packets which will also be in the shop and see which ones you can start.  Now's a goot time to start a few off indoors.

Take it easy  ;)

MuddyDoris

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:48 »

MuddyDoris

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:51 »
Thanks everyone for replying, good advice about relaxing I am a bit of a perfectionist and go crazy whenever I am set a new challenge.  This is a marathon and not a sprint. Thanks guys :)

Babstreefern

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 15:49 »
Re flowers.  I always work to 10% flowers and the rest veggies.  Also, find out what you are going to eat, don't just grow something for growing sake, grow veg that you will eat :happy:.

But first and foremost, get a gas stove for your cuppa tea :tongue2:.  That's more important than working your plot :ohmy:.  I also have a bucket type BBQ as well to make sausage/bacon butties, and then go from there :D
Babs

Page created in 0.691 seconds with 29 queries.