the heat is the problem

• 16 Replies

chrissie B

the heat is the problem
« on: August 14, 2007, 13:07 »
:o well what can i say , the other day i posted about my tomatoe probs and got some good advice and carried out said advice ,next door was saying to hubby this morning that the whole of Greece is having a tomato problem with the heat that it was so hot that they were almost cooking on the vine , i am hoping that the new ones coming on will have a better chance now that the temps dropped to a more normal34-36 thats about 10 degs less than it was .
the news also said that tomatoes were being imported from turkey .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

muntjac

the heat is the problem
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 13:09 »
have you got shade over them?
still alive /............

WG.

the heat is the problem
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 13:14 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Too much heat or too little potash (says Doc Hessayon)
 :wink:

chrissie B

the heat is the problem
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 13:32 »
no there is no shade but they are planted beside a wall and have sun most of the day , would netting help :?:

muntjac

the heat is the problem
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 13:34 »
shading will help greeatly , we had heat problems in knoxville tenn and we solved ity by shading the plants  had great crops then

Trillium

the heat is the problem
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 18:47 »
I wonder if Munty means  heavier netting rather than shade? Toms do need a fair bit of sun, but part shade over them such as lattice, etc will help cool everything down to a better temperature for the toms.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
the heat is the problem
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 19:27 »
Remember, the wall will also hold the heat of the day. Prob not what your toms need. Sounds like some shade is defo the answer.

muntjac

the heat is the problem
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 23:53 »
no i mean shading as in whiteout the glas panes in a greenhouse like wot i do . if you shade them it doesnt matter so long as they get enough light and heat

Oliveview

the heat is the problem
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 21:24 »
The temperature here was mid 40´s and the neighbours have all said their toms and peppers and courgettes are doing badly.  Our toms have all but given up, there is the odd plant struggling.  Our peppers are doing well, touch wood and the aubergines are giving a fair amount of fruit.  My pal (here in Spain) said that next year he will be giving his toms shade as his suffered too with the heat. We are still in the learning curve here for veg, interesting and sometimes very frustrating
Pamela (in Spain)

ps hope you are not too close to the forest fires in Greece

muntjac

the heat is the problem
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 23:04 »
if you have any umbrella's try putting them up over t6he tomes . growing them under a porch is a better idea in the hotter climes . 3 times as much water as well :wink:

Fat Hen

the heat is the problem
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 23:37 »
I'm sure i'm not dreaming  but when I've been walking in hills in greece i've seen toms grown in shade of other trees/bushes such as olives and scrub.

muntjac

the heat is the problem
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 09:42 »
your not dreaming . :lol:

chrissie B

the heat is the problem
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 10:07 »
well thanks for all the help with the toms  but you  can't  beat the weather and to day we pulled up all our toms as it was too sad to watch them struggle :( ,but another problem has arrisen ,in that all the ealworm has spread all along our growing strip so no toms in there next year i think i will get large pots and grow them on my concreat part and grow other stuff in the toms place , i dont know how we got this except when we first started the garden we got plants from all over garden centre and the market , all this years were grown from seed.
will onions be ok in this area :?:
chrissie b

muntjac

the heat is the problem
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 10:12 »
you can help beat the eel wqorm now . by turning the soil over with a rotavator a few times whilst the weatheer is hot .doing it wil starve them of the shelter . also liming the ground heavily 2 0z square yard. but the more you chop it up whislt its hot the better . onions wil be ok next year .also try a watering of jeyes fluid . the water wants to be just coloured

chrissie B

the heat is the problem
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 10:37 »
will any other plants be ok , at the moment we are growing chillis and bell peppers in the same area and they are growing great , and when i have dug the effected area should i scald ny spade , cos i dont want to spresd the problem or will leaving it in the sun be ok  :?:  :?:  :?:
chrissie b

xx
Is it the heat?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2023, 20:31
by Nobbie
xx
gentle heat

Started by gremlin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 19:18
by gremlin
xx
Chili heat

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 10:07
by mumofstig
xx
Heat Vs Light

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 12:52
by Mark's Sussex Allotment

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 28 queries.