Heat Vs Light

• 3 Replies

Apostrophes

• http://www.richard-seymour.net
Heat Vs Light
« on: April 08, 2013, 13:30 »
Two entire seed packets of broad beans (different varieties) have failed to germinate after several weeks. hey were in pots outside. I know they like the cold but maybe it was too cold for them. I have decided to do what I always did before: start them off indoors. I know that makes them leggy but they always recover and at least they germinate.

However, I have a lot of them and not that much room on windowsills where the light will get to them. But do they need that much light right now or is heat the main thing to make them germinate?

Thanks,

Richard
The idiots are winning.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Heat Vs Light
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 14:02 »
gentle warmth to germinate then they need as much light as poss..........start hardening them off when they are stull quite small.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 14:03 »
The majority of veg seeds germinate best at quite warm temperatures and don't need light to do so, but that doesn't necessarily mean they also grow best at that temperature.

Broad beans are one of the hardiest veg, so need to go somewhere cool but as light as possible immediately after germination (if they have gone leggy it is already too late, but obviously the extent to which they will recover their strength depends on just how leggy they have become.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:52 »
If they were in pots, I guess it depends on how small the pots were, and if they got frozen.

I think most things can germinate in a dark airing cupboard, and then need light after germination.

Although BB's like it a bit cooler.
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

xx
Tomato-heat or light???

Started by WhippetMaster on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 18:46
by WhippetMaster
xx
Is it heat or light that ripens pumpkins?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 16, 2009, 21:51
by 8doubles
xx
I need to choose between heat & light for 1wk tomato seedlings

Started by Bodmass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 19:48
by Yorkie
xx
Is it the heat?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2023, 20:31
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.546 seconds with 38 queries.