Courgettes/squash and compost heaps

• 13 Replies

viettaclark

Courgettes/squash and compost heaps
« on: March 02, 2011, 22:57 »
I've read alot of posts about planting on compost heaps or in Daleks and I wondered if you can use compost that isn't completely rotten down?
I've got a load in various stages of decomposition but really want the older stuff for the beds. I chuck in garden/kitchen waste, newspaper and chicken straw/poo.
I was thinking of mixing it with a bit of topsoil and using it to fill up a builder's bag halfway and rolling the sides down, or potato bags bought to grow spuds as I'm not using them this year.
Thought it would save a packet on compost and that would be the courgettes and pattipans sorted.....?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Courgettes/squash and compost heaps
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:00 »
Having planted courgettes on top of the dalek last year with great success, I can report that as this planting was a last minute thought there was plenty of new and unrotted material towards the top of the bin.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:19 »
I think you'll find that it works fine.

Just consider how all sorts of stray plants germinate on the still-composting heap without your permission...

I'll probably use the same sort of stuff, wheel it onto the garden, and cover with some soil because it looks a bit untidy, and the birds tend to kick it about a bit.

BTW, there's always one courgette which gets away! Uncanny that, even if you spend an hour poking around under the leaves each day!

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:22 »
Sounds fine to me but I'd cover (as already said) with a layer of top soil to give the plant something to get its roots into the start with..... worth a try.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:47 »
Yes I would too, or some growbag compost.  Before planting please let the whole pile settle as it slumps quite a bit so you need to be able to top it back up before planting

As the material continues to rot down as the plant grows you will probably have to keep adding more compost or the whole plant could disappear from view  :D 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 19:12 »
I was about to post what CQ has already written - so I won't duplicate but just agree!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

loobs61

manure/pumpkins/courgettes
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 16:01 »
hi all,
Going to grow my pumpkins and courgettes etc straight into my manure heap this year. Saw gardeners world do it with a giant pumpkin last year so thought I would give it a go, has anyone else tried this ? :D

Zippy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 20:23 »
I have a dalek three quarters full of stripped turf and I'll top this with rotted compost from my other bins and plant a squash plant on top of that.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 23:12 »
I have a dalek three quarters full of stripped turf and I'll top this with rotted compost from my other bins and plant a squash plant on top of that.

That sounds very cosy  ;)

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 23:34 »
 :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 00:33 »
Veittaclark.... bung the plants in (keep a spare just in case) and see what happens.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. It's a good way of learning what works for you.  ;)

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 19:22 »
I think I might spread a load of the unrotted compost into my 2 spare baths, add some soil and try 4 plants in them.

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 00:17 »
Yup! I'm going to give it a go using the potato sacks. I'm also going to pile a load on the comfrey bed and grow Harrier in between them...they're well spaced.  8) ::)
I know comfrey won't mind (in fact I'll have to watch it doesn't suck out too much goodness!!!) and it means I can use the patch more efficiently. I'm juggling for space now!
My lawn has got smaller again this year.....

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 02:31 »
I think I might spread a load of the unrotted compost into my 2 spare baths, add some soil and try 4 plants in them.

That sounds interesting... but I think you might be wise to add some coarse gravel around the plug-hole to aid drainage. If we have a wet period it may help prevent them from having to learn to snorkel.  ;)

xx
covers for compost heaps??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 13:05
by corynsboy
xx
I think I'm obsessed with compost heaps ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 24, 2007, 14:25
by Ice
xx
coaldust on compost heaps

Started by badgergirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 07:03
by mobilekat
xx
does anyone use glycerin to add to compost heaps

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 18:47
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.949 seconds with 30 queries.