does anyone use glycerin to add to compost heaps

• 16 Replies

3759allen

does anyone use glycerin to add to compost heaps
« on: April 17, 2014, 21:09 »
i've heard that you can use glycerin as an accelerator to speed up the rotting/ degrading process.

i have quite a large amount of the stuff that i could use, however i'm guessing you would only want to add small amounts.

does anyone use this in there compost heaps? does it do any harm when you come to use the compost or has it dispersed by then?

compostqueen

Re: does anyone use glycerin to add to compost heaps
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 21:11 »
I've not heard of it. I don't think there would be any need to buy anything in to accelerate the composting process. You could use your pee, nettles or comfrey. Or all of those  :)  The sun, when it does shine, really kicks things off. Stirring it frequently and adding water as necessary will all help speed things up.  To get things really cooking when you have some hot weather is some grass mowings

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 22:11 »
This sounds very odd!

Glycerin [=glycerol] is, in essence, a sugar.
The microbes in the compost will use it very readily.
However, it does not contain any nitrogen, which is often needed to get things moving.

Also, I wonder where you got a large amount of glycerin?
Are you sure that it has not been used industrially, and maybe contain something nasty?

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 23:01 »
I'd agree with her majesty, above. Well mixed compost works all by itself without the need for accelerators. As mentioned, pee seems to get things moving but do be discrete. Standing on top of your compost heap and spraying your pee around is considered unacceptable in some places!

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:37 »
i've heard that you can use glycerin as an accelerator to speed up the rotting/ degrading process.

i have quite a large amount of the stuff that i could use, however i'm guessing you would only want to add small amounts.

does anyone use this in there compost heaps? does it do any harm when you come to use the compost or has it dispersed by then?

Where did you hear it?

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:36 »
there will be no need to buy it, i produce over 20l a month as the bi product from making bio diesel. it is formally known as "soap", this can be made into hand cleaner with further chemical reaction.

the person i buy my ingredients to make diesel said about it however he hasn't tried it as he doesn't have any compost heaps.

i've tried adding it to weeds on my gravel drive and it definitely makes them rot off very quickly, but concerned at adding it to the compost. 

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 18:27 »
pee and comfrey works well for me.
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 21:06 »
Comfrey is great stuff!  :D

gobs

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:01 »
there will be no need to buy it, i produce over 20l a month

I say! That's a lot even of breast milk. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 11:19 »
Hard to imagine what benefit glycerine could be to the flora and fauna of a compost heap, and I'd be particularly concerned about what it was contaminated with after the biodiesel production process - it certainly won't have anything like the purity of the form used widely in food and pharmaceuticals.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 13:12 »
there will be no need to buy it, i produce over 20l a month

I say! That's a lot even of breast milk. :lol:

these man boobs have got to come in handy for something.  :lol:

3759allen

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 13:18 »
Hard to imagine what benefit glycerine could be to the flora and fauna of a compost heap, and I'd be particularly concerned about what it was contaminated with after the biodiesel production process - it certainly won't have anything like the purity of the form used widely in food and pharmaceuticals.

this is what i was thinking. couldn't see it being that good for the worms and bacteria that break the contents down naturally. and wasn't sure what affect it would have on the plants that will be growing in it.

to be honest i don't really need to speed the composting process up as i have 4 daleks and use 2 per year so i can leave it for 2 years to rot down. i just hate to throw things away if i can make use of it in some way.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 09:20 »
Couldn't see it being that good for the worms and bacteria that break the contents down naturally. and wasn't sure what affect it would have on the plants that will be growing in it.

to be honest i don't really need to speed the composting process up as i have 4 daleks and use 2 per year so i can leave it for 2 years to rot down. i just hate to throw things away if i can make use of it in some way.

Perhaps whoever you heard suggesting using it on compost heaps was confusing 'chemically organic susbstance' (which it is) with 'organic compost material'  (which it isn't.)  :unsure:

Having recycled what is presumably waste vegetable oil it does seem a shame to chuck away the main by-product, but it seems that due to a big increase in biodiesel production in many parts of the world the supply of glycerine is currently about 6 times actual demand.   :ohmy:

diospyros

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40 »
known as "soap", this can be made into hand cleaner with further chemical reaction.

sounds like that might be the best idea then!

Spr0ut

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 16:24 »
I know someone who made their own bio-diesel who made liquid soap as a second product on their by-products. Worked as a low-sud soap in dishwasher and washing machine as well, so probably a better use for the glycerine.

xx
Compost heaps on the plot

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 12:53
by digital_biscuit
xx
I think I'm obsessed with compost heaps ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 24, 2007, 14:25
by Ice
xx
covers for compost heaps??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 13:05
by corynsboy
xx
coaldust on compost heaps

Started by badgergirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 07:03
by mobilekat

Page created in 0.923 seconds with 37 queries.