How to make comfrey tea

• 7 Replies

JohnB47

How to make comfrey tea
« on: February 27, 2011, 17:41 »
OK, I see the info on this site about making the tea but I wonder if people have their own favourite methods.

I planted some comfrey last spring (5 plants) and left it alone and now that it's starting to re grow, I want to get my act together so that I can start brewing. I hope to use it on my spuds later in the year, among other things.

So, any special tips?

Edit: Just read about maggots being a common thing with the tea! And someone saying that they make the tea in sealed containers because of this. Wouldn't it explode? Any ideas on that?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 17:53 by JohnB47 »

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: How to make comfrey tea
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 17:51 »
Lots of ways to do this, my method is to hack the comfrey down n stuff it in a bin bag. I poke a hole in the bottom of the bag n stand it on a plastic box in the sun. The plants rot down and lovely black juice drips into the box. The juice is diluted in the water can and the plant mush goes on the compost.    8)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 22:37 »
Lots of ways to do this, my method is to hack the comfrey down n stuff it in a bin bag. I poke a hole in the bottom of the bag n stand it on a plastic box in the sun. The plants rot down and lovely black juice drips into the box. The juice is diluted in the water can and the plant mush goes on the compost.    8)

Sounds a good idea. I like the fact that you're not starting off with the leaves mixed with water - makes for less liquid to store.

Anyone else for tea?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 23:43 »
i have an empty fertilizer bucket, i cut a load of leaves  put them in the bucket brick on top and cover with water, put lid on.   leave for couple weeks then use 2 cupfuls in my 3gallon watering can. I top this mixture up weekly with leaves and water. so i have a supply through the season.

My sweetcorn,tomatoes and cucurbits especially love a drink!
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

scousemouse

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 00:16 »
I have two old-fashioned black rubber rubbish bins.  (Everyone has wheelies now).  I chop the comfrey back, bung it all into the bottom.  Add a few gallons of water, put the lids on and leave it for a month.  Two or 3 bins does me for the season. 

When it comes to feeding, I just bung 1 part comfrey tea to 4 parts water in a watering can and get feeding.

Toms, cucumbers, squashes, fruit bushes and especially the potatoes love it.  They put on a real growth spurt after a good dose of comfrey tea. 

Other plants like onions and root veg seem to prefer the nettle tea.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:43 »
I do mine without adding water, just chop the leaves down bung 'em in a tub with a lid. Used to do it in the drain pipe method in smaller quantities but now I have the lotties I have a small water barrel with a tap & drain the tea out in to old squash or 4pt milk bottles to store. Don't keep the lids on too tight on those though or they swell. Never had one explode but there's always a 1st time.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:32 »
Numpty question.  Has anyone had any success just adding chopped leaves into planting holes or as mulch?  Im sure i remember my nan doing this when i was a kid.

As for tea i just bung it in an old fertilizer tub with water, leave the lid on but not closed.  Note from an idiot: Replace your tub after a few seasons and do not balance on it with your knee whilst weeding :blink:

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 17:14 »
Numpty question.  Has anyone had any success just adding chopped leaves into planting holes or as mulch?  Im sure i remember my nan doing this when i was a kid.

As for tea i just bung it in an old fertilizer tub with water, leave the lid on but not closed.  Note from an idiot: Replace your tub after a few seasons and do not balance on it with your knee whilst weeding :blink:

Hi Mazzie,
I put wilted comfrey leaves in my potato trenches and cover with a little soil before planting the tuber. I never have enough comfrey to go in all trenches and have found over the years that those with comfrey fare better than those without.
First saw TV gardener Bob Price do this years ago.
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

xx
growing borage to make tea, like comfrey

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 09:23
by Togalosh
xx
How many kilograms of leaves does a comfrey plant make per year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 13:03
by PeterP
xx
comfrey Tea

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 05:36
by Growster...
xx
Comfrey - use of?

Started by djbnat on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 02, 2007, 10:01
by Aidy

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 29 queries.