growing borage to make tea, like comfrey

• 10 Replies

JohnB47

growing borage to make tea, like comfrey
« on: May 15, 2012, 13:55 »
I'm a sucker for an experiment and recently Bob Flowerdew suggested adding borage to comfrey when making up a tea mixture - he said it made for a better balance of nutrients.

So, can people tell me how borage grows? Eg does each plant clump like comfrey and will it allow ' cut and come again'? Just wondering if i need to plant a few seed just once, or repeat sow to give a continuous supply of leaves and stalks. Oh and i've read about it seeding profusely, so i'm planning not to let it go to seed (famous last words).

Cheers.

Togalosh

Re: growing borage to make tea, like comfrey
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 14:49 »
Borage grows like a triffid & seeds all over the place..but dies off in autumn/winter.

I have only just heard the same as you about it making a good tea with comfrey & so have stopped muttering to myself about it being a bad idea to plant it in the first place (for the bees).

Any ideas on the ratios though? (fertilisers have ratio info on them)

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 15:08 »
No, Bob didn't say anything about ratios. I'll probably decide on that when i see how much greenery the borage produces. Unless others have some info, of course.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 15:18 »
Borage doesn't cut and come again due to its annual nature and hollow stalks. But if allowed to reseed, it will be everywhere for you. Easily pulled out where you don't want it or moved to where you do.

No idea on the tea ratios, sorry. Just be careful how much comfrey you ingest though. There are heated discussions about the relationship of liver cancer and comfrey so do consult a qualified herbalist or book before doing so. What is good for one person is not necessarily good for another, particularly if other health conditions lurk in the background.

Borage, however is fairly safe, but do look it up in a good herbal book first.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 15:27 »
I thought we were talking about a manure tea, not a herbal drinking tea  :wacko:

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 17:43 »
I thought we were talking about a manure tea, not a herbal drinking tea  :wacko:

Actually its my fault for not being clear. I mean to use it as a manure tea but i'm gratetful for the safety advice from Trillium anyway. Trillium has also answered my main question - if i want a fair amount of it, i'll have to either let it self seed (not a good idea, i hear my neighbours say) or sow seeds myself every now and then. I'll sow a few seeds in pots, cos i dont know what the seedlings look like, and give it a go.

Cheers all.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 17:49 »
Borage has great big flat green seed leaves and they have fine hairs on them.  It grows pretty big and will self seed all over but is easy to pull out.  I find it grows very fast so you may not need as much as you think  ;)

I did not plant it on my plot but it arrived and reappears every year  ::)  If its not in the way I leave it as it attracts loads of bees and makes loads of green waste for the compost heap  :)

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 18:11 »
Borage has great big flat green seed leaves and they have fine hairs on them.  It grows pretty big and will self seed all over but is easy to pull out.  I find it grows very fast so you may not need as much as you think  ;)

I did not plant it on my plot but it arrived and reappears every year  ::)  If its not in the way I leave it as it attracts loads of bees and makes loads of green waste for the compost heap  :)

Thanks - great feedback.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 18:45 »
I'm with New Shoot on this one - let the bees have fun then compost the stuff when it has gone to seed.

Oh and pop a flower in an ice cube for your cold drinks - borage in ice cubes for  Pimms at Wimbledon.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 21:38 »
When cakemakers order violet flowers for decorations, it's usually borage flowers that they'll get since borage flowers freely unlike violets. You can also use the flowers in salads, just pop out the centre stigma section, rinse off the flower and toss it into the salad. Lovely taste.

It was a bit confusing about the tea when you refer to Bob Flowerdew. He's such a health nut that it's quite possible he also drinks comfrey tea.

Here is a picture of the leaves and flower.

Togalosh

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23 »
..now I'm confuzzled..tea for fertilizer or tea for drinking??

... surely tea for drinking only comes from Yorkshire  :unsure:

xx
comfrey or borage?

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 15, 2013, 15:28
by ptarmigan
xx
borage used like comfrey?

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 12:39
by compostqueen
xx
comfrey borage and other confuson

Started by brinylon on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 19:57
by brinylon
clip
Borage mixed in with my comfrey.

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 19, 2022, 13:06
by cc

Page created in 1.058 seconds with 30 queries.