Globe Artichokes Question

• 28 Replies

ted_woodley

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 12:42 »
Interesting discussion. I too planted Green Globe from seed this year and now have five plants, one of which has totally different shaped leaves from the others. I guess I will just see which one does best and then continue from slips.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 13:56 »
Just back from the allotment and to my surprise I found one of my artichokes has actually produced a globe with more on the way.  That's one plant out of around 20 that's done what it's supposed to.  I'm sure it was green globe seeds I planted and hopefully a few more plants will do their thing before the first frosts.

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 14:11 »
I complimented one of my allotment neighbour's GAs when I first got my plot. She's such a generous soul, she broke one there and there and gave it to me. I love artichokes from the jar/delicatessen, and I thought I'd recreate these. Even though I had instructions from her on how to prepare, something went wrong. I totally did my own thing and even though it was drenched in yummy butter, it couldn't be eaten. The fur was all over it and kept pricking my mouth with every mouthful I tried. I gave up and swore to stick to the jars/delicatessen counter, lol! Might try again next year, but ouch, my poor mouth!
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 14:26 »
They are a pain to prepare but I pull off the tough outer leaves, peel the skin on the base and stem with a normal peeler, cut the tops of the leaves, cut the artichoke down the middle, take out the fluffy choke, rinse and put in some water/lemon juice until ready.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 21:53 »
Wish I'd been here at the bginning of this thread. I'm growing globe artichokes from seed for the second time at the moment. My first try worked ok, green globe, got 2 globes from 2 plants in the second year.

This year I have established 3 plants and one is doing much better than the other two. I didn't use much (if any) fertilizer because the soil here is pretty good anyway. I'm pretty sure they are all there for a good while now with well established roots.

I want to know when I should insulate them from the cold? I read in a John Seymour book that you should put muck over them for winter. My first lot were in a very shelered sunny spot, these ones are in a sunny place but not so sheltered from the cold. And I'm in Cheshire as opposed to Bedfordshire.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

gobs

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 11:05 »
well, I'm sure I'm late with this and you found it out by now that they are quite inedible.
I read somewhere that scientist are puzzled as to what is the difference between a GA and a cardoon and GA like plant, the seeds will grow either one or the other, hence the offsets.  I bought mine from an internet company(Organic plants or something similar) for £4-5 for 5 plants. These are purple ones, which are hardier than the greens. I cropped them till November last year and did not protect them over winter at all(derbyshire).
But as far as their longevity is concerned the original, old plants are surely finished after two seasons, the lot of offsets growing in their place might well give the impression otherwise.
They are very good for you, a natural detox plant, so well worth bothering to learn to prepare.
I got into the habit of chewing them row on my  plot, loving it, just like green walnuts of me childhood.
Also shall have a few offsets, if anybody interested, which need protecting from slugs and snails!
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 11:17 »
Quote from: "gobs"
well, I'm sure I'm late with this and you found it out by now that they are quite inedible.
I read somewhere that scientist are puzzled as to what is the difference between a GA and a cardoon and GA like plant, the seeds will grow either one or the other, hence the offsets.  I bought mine from an internet company(Organic plants or something similar) for £4-5 for 5 plants. These are purple ones, which are hardier than the greens. I cropped them till November last year and did not protect them over winter at all(derbyshire).
But as far as their longevity is concerned the original, old plants are surely finished after two seasons, the lot of offsets growing in their place might well give the impression otherwise.
They are very good for you, a natural detox plant, so well worth bothering to learn to prepare.
I got into the habit of chewing them row on my  plot, loving it, just like green walnuts of me childhood.
Also shall have a few offsets, if anybody interested, which need protecting from slugs and snails!

I'll give the fresh globe artichokes another try next year Gobs, then depending on their success, I'll decide whether to grow my own or not. For now, I'll stick to the ready to eat stuff  :oops:

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 12:16 »
I have a plant here that has been cropping for at least 16 years - probably nearer 30 as this was my gran's place before and I know she ate them too. I don't think she ever split it - I certainly don't remember the plant moving much. I give it no protection. Just cut it down at the end of the year (about 3 weeks ago this year) new offshoots are already over a foot high.  Seems to survive the winter even the years that the ground has frozen.

I do throw some manure at it every now and then.  When I remember.  I get around a dozen really good sized heads a year and many more smaller ones that are very worth eating.

I've just recently planted some more of the offsets round the place - because I'd hate to loose this variety if/when the mother plant dies.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 21:44 »
Quote from: "Salkeela"
I have a plant here that has been cropping for at least 16 years - probably nearer 30 as this was my gran's place before and I know she ate them too. I don't think she ever split it - I certainly don't remember the plant moving much. I give it no protection. Just cut it down at the end of the year (about 3 weeks ago this year) new offshoots are already over a foot high.  Seems to survive the winter even the years that the ground has frozen.

I do throw some manure at it every now and then.  When I remember.  I get around a dozen really good sized heads a year and many more smaller ones that are very worth eating.

I've just recently planted some more of the offsets round the place - because I'd hate to loose this variety if/when the mother plant dies.

That sounds ace.

However, I still haven't cut my globe artichokes down for winter. They look so healthy I cannot bring myself to damage them. I think I should have cut them to a bit above soil level and then put some rotted manure over them. Does that sound right?

Anyway, I've still not done it. :?

gobs

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 21:53 »
That's what the books say Jake, but then mine were flowering into November last year(winter really starts around Christmas here) and are flowering now.  So I use them. I did not cover mine last year, but these purple ones are said to be hardier.
As far as I can remember they were in the green most of the winter and re-started flowering in April. :shock:

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 22:02 »
Quote from: "gobs"
they were in the green most of the winter and re-started flowering in April. :shock:

that would be cool. I'm going to do it on Saturday.

Hope it doesn't get too cold before then.

I love globe artichokes.

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 11:20 »
Mine has grown a baby on its side, the huge plant has died off but as well as the baby there are new leaves growing from the base of the old plant. I'll try and give the baby its own space in the spring (I think thats right?) so hopefully I'll have two plants.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 07:29 »
I only cut mine down when they got straggly and ugly!

New shoots have produced another mini globe!!!

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 20:06 »
I was down the allotment today and a few of the plants that I planted this year from seed have started producing small globes.  Hopefully the weather stays mild enough for these to mature to an edible size.  Come the spring I'll take offsets from these plants so there should be plenty of globes for next year.

xx
Question about Globe Artichokes

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 02:00
by herbiegrowsbananas
xx
Globe Artichokes

Started by Beetie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 22:05
by Chaz1985
xx
Globe Artichokes

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 16:01
by gobs
xx
globe artichokes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 13:58
by noshed

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 28 queries.