globe artichokes

• 13 Replies

harry

globe artichokes
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:14 »
I bought some globe artichoke seeds do you just put them in small pots and transplant when big enough to handle. :wacko: :mellow:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: globe artichokes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25 »
They are very easy from seed.  Sow inside in small pots and keep them frost free.  I think they are best grown on a bit - say up to a 2L pot - before planting out.  I did some last year, but the snow got to them, even under protection and they have rotted off, but my soil is pretty heavy :(

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 15:02 »
Sorry, I don't mean to be negative, but the varieties available from seed are not as good as the ones from cuttings / offsets.  Green Globe is not as vigorous, or tasty, as "Vert de Laon" or "Camus de Bretagne" for example (although I do see seeds for "Vert de Laon" offered on eBay, but I didn't think they came true from seeds)

harry

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 15:21 »
Sorry, I don't mean to be negative, but the varieties available from seed are not as good as the ones from cuttings / offsets.  Green Globe is not as vigorous, or tasty, as "Vert de Laon" or "Camus de Bretagne" for example (although I do see seeds for "Vert de Laon" offered on eBay, but I didn't think they came true from seeds)

Yes since buying the seeds (on a whim) I've read about growing them from cuttings. I may as well try them now I've got them :nowink:

whitehartlottie

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 15:18 »
the varieties available from seed are not as good as the ones from cuttings / offsets.  Green Globe is not as vigorous, or tasty, as "Vert de Laon" or "Camus de Bretagne" for example

Where can you source cuttings and offsets of the two varieties you mention?

Most garden centers seem to just sell green globe as plants, or dont even name a variety.

I got seeds last year for vert de leon and another variety but only had a few live long enough to plant out - would prefer to get plants this time so I dont waste another year waiting but prefer not to go with the ubiquitous green globe

Edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 16:02 by mumofstig »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 16:54 »
Dunno is the answer :( But I went on a little Google and Sarah Raven (a name I recognise, at least) seems enthusiastic about seed for Vert de Laon (but does say they won't all come true  ... which means growing them to maturity and then discarding some ... which is a bit of a bore unless you have time & space.

http://www.sarahraven.com/shop/artichoke-gros-vert-de-laon.html

Folk like
http://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/shop/Artichoke_Plants.html
sell the same varieties of their plants as seeds - so I am sceptical that they are grown from cuttings

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/index.asp turns up a couple of nurseries - I searched for

CYNARA Camus de Bretagne

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 17:52 »
Kristen makes a really valid point.

Having said that the seed will produce quite a variety of plants - some will be cardoon-like spiky-throwbacks, some won't be particularly vigorous - some will be all leaf and no fruit etc. If you grow about 20 seeds to maturity you should get a good cropper amongst them and you can use that one for offsets in 2-3 years time. You can give away the 'also rans' to gardeners who what something pretty and 'architectural', but aren't fussed about the fruiting bodies.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 22:01 »
Just wanted to gatecrash the question a bit as I tried to grow globe artichokes last year, from small plants bought from a garden centre. They never really got going and died off in the autumn despite my best attempts to add compost and water in well. Are they perennial? as I've just dug over the plot and couldn't find any signs off them! Where did I go wrong?

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 22:02 »
Sorry also forgot to ask if the plants are expected to produce fruit/heads in the first year if they are perennial?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 22:05 »
As new plants they may not have been strong enough to last through the winter :(

They are perennial once they get going, but will struggle in very cold winters.
They take a few years to really crop well, and you may weaken them if you let them flower in their first year

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 22:10 »
Thanks, may have another go this year then. Could you cut them down in winter and cover the crown in fleece then?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 22:15 »
I never used fleece, I used straw..spose the fleece would do the same job  :unsure:

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 10:10 »
I sowed Green Globe last year and planted them out into a manure filled trench that I topped off to a 12 inch high flat bed.
I planted the seedlings out from 3-inch pots at half the recommended distance apart to allow for discards or failures.
They have all taken and grown well. Some grew flower heads the first year which I cut away. So I have no idea what they taste like - yet!
I mulched around them with wilted grass clippings during the summer and watered and fed direct to the roots through a cut-off drinks bottle positioned alongside the plant when planted out.
I wrapped them ina  straw 'overcoat' during the winter and they have fared well and are putting on growth.
Hopefully, will be able to tell you how they tste later this year.
Best Wishes!
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

noshed

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 13:58 »
I put some Wilco ones in last year, with a bit of compost. They grew 10' high. I mulched them with straw this winter and they're about 2' high now.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Globe artichokes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 20:40
by tode
xx
GLOBE ARTICHOKES

Started by avisford on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 20:35
by snowdrops
xx
Globe artichokes?

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 07:22
by arugula
xx
Globe artichokes

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 01:51
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 38 queries.