Growing your own at work?

• 8 Replies

Totty

Growing your own at work?
« on: February 16, 2011, 20:50 »
I am lucky enough to work somewhere where we have lots of free room outside. We produce large concrete products, and the rejects make perfect raised beds. Last year we grew a few runners, a couple of toms and other odd spare plants and did ok. This year a few of us would like to make better use of the unused land we have. Is there any info anybody knows of in which to show the bosses to persuade them that it is a beneficial and worthwhile thing for there staff  to be doing in there free time?

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing your own at work?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 22:07 »
Some schools do this sort of thing, I know it's a bit different, but like businesses & companies, they have health & safety issues, contracted meal providers, plans for that area of land etc.

If you can all get together & draw up the pros & cons of your ideas & how your plans could benefit the company you work for, as in:

compost - shredded paper, card, (less expense on disposal) apple cores, banana skins etc.
pallets (not blue ones!)- more raised beds.
Fresh produce on demand as opposed to processed stuff.

You get the picture. See what you can all come up with, and good luck!    :)

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 22:25 »
it would help offset their carbon footprint ,  and company's like that sort of thing  :)
and a good idea ,  but will they grow if you are watching them :D
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 23:02 »
Staff wellbeing is a big buzzword these days.  The mental health benefits of growing your own are well proven, not to mention 'free' food for those who participate.  If there's a glut, there could always be a surplus stall at work - donations to a charity of the company's choice?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:52 »
Companies are always spending money on 'team building' exercises because they know that people who bond as a team produce better results.  What better team building exercise than growing and sharing food with your co-workers? 

You could even organise an event or two around it.  In late summer you could have a harvest festival where workers' families could enjoy the produce too, or an open day/working bee where partners and children are invited to come along and help in the garden.

As part of your proposal to the bosses you could put in a few committments to things they might be concerned about.  For example, you will take responsibility for making sure your composting systems don't produce any offensive smells, or attract vermin, or look unsightly.  In other words, anticipate what you think their objections may be and address them in your proposal.

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 17:06 »
if done in spare time it will have people on premises at weekends and in evenings so helping with security.
Good PR in terms of community spirit, helping local youngsters and schools perhaps or carbon footprint stuff.
R

Totty

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 17:48 »
Thanks for all replies. My company is not as nicey micey as most, for instance we are one of a handful of large companys in the uk not to allow us the royal wedding public holiday off!
 The ideas about composting waste is great, there is alot of food and carboard waste on a site that is 70 acres!
 Although i may sound dull in asking, how can the fact that it will help the carbon footprint be put across?
 Our beds are all in place already, three circular beds, 8ft round for beans, tomatoes and corn, then 10 beds for anything anyone has left over from there seeds at home.
 We also have about half a ton of leafmould, rotting moss and horse poop to throw in, using soil excavated from site as the base. The idea is a great one and easy to sort out. Convincing the bosses that its a good idea is the only problem!

savbo

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 19:42 »
happier, well-nourished staff have less sickness and stay with their employers longer

as for carbon footprint - talk to them about food miles you can save by staff eating somerset toms as opposed to south african ones.

the only problem is they may want to save the idea until carbon trading takes off!

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 22:30 »
Hello Totty,I read your piece and thought of the following. Why not have a 'who can grow the tallest comp'? I am of course thinking of a sunflower competition! Doesn't have to be a veg only theme,does it?......just a thought...  :)
people talk rubbish

question
Growing in tyres - does it work?

Started by Pip Judgeford on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 14:24
by evie2
xx
Would this work (lazy potato growing)

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 17:40
by PAULW
clip
Growing watercress - Do you think this contraption will work? Place your bets.

Started by Symian on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 12:25
by Lincolnshire Floyd
xx
Work To Be Done

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 22:24
by matron

Page created in 0.639 seconds with 36 queries.