Growing watercress - Do you think this contraption will work? Place your bets.

• 20 Replies

fatcat1955

You will need mineral rich water to grow water cress , distilled water may well germinate the seed but i doubt if it will come to much.

allotmentann

Most inventive! (Although I have to tell you - as it is growing away healthily right now, that watercress will grow quite happily in large pots outdoors. You just give them lots of water. I use tap water too. The watercress has survived the winter and is growing strongly again now.). I am very interested to see the results of your experiment though. Originally I was going to try growing it in floating polysterene containers, but as I have found it does not really need anything special. :)

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
I agree with Allotmentann, I grow mine outside in a container of potting compost and soak it with tap water once a day. No problems.
Bish

Mrs Bee

Very impressive :D

Don't think I could go to that much bother meself, although I am always in awe of those that do.

I have just slung my watercress seed in a large container, without drainage holes, and keep them very wet as I have done in previous years and they seem to do OK. Mine are up and looking fine.

Kirpi

good luck with this - you must really like watercress!

Lincolnshire Floyd

Most inventive! (Although I have to tell you - as it is growing away healthily right now, that watercress will grow quite happily in large pots outdoors. You just give them lots of water. I use tap water too. The watercress has survived the winter and is growing strongly again now.). I am very interested to see the results of your experiment though. Originally I was going to try growing it in floating polysterene containers, but as I have found it does not really need anything special. :)

Thanks for the info. I've been under the impression they didn't like tap water but if you've had some success then I've been misinformed. I shall try some that way and see how I get on. You live and learn, I suppose that is what this forum is about. Cheers.

xx
Growing Onions in the same place ?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 16:52
by Springlands
xx
Growing tomatoes in the same place every year?

Started by JKJ on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 18:53
by Trillium
xx
Growing spuds in the same place next year?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2023, 22:04
by spud
xx
Growing your own at work?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 22:30
by iggyboy60

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 27 queries.