Advice required on growing carrot Early Nantes please

• 10 Replies

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
Advice required on growing carrot Early Nantes please
« on: February 13, 2011, 21:00 »
Good evening all!
Advice needed please as growing this crop for the first time ever. My dilemna/questions are these:-
- I was told that the carrot fly flies early in the growing season; so sow later. How true is this?
- In order to get a head start can I grow them in something like a peat pot/newspaper pot/sweet pea tube which I can put in to degrade so as not disturbing root or foliage, hence no aroma for said pests? Or wait and sow direct?
- I plan to fill an old box of about 4x3x3 (wxlxh) which was used as a composter unit by the previous incumbent; this will act as a high raised bed and should eradicate growing problems for carrot fly.
- Growing medium of compost plus sharp sand mixed in.

Thoughts, advice and ideas please
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice required on growing carrot Early Nantes please
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 21:09 »
1. I'm not convinced that seasonal sowing as described will prevent the carrot fly.

2. I'd wait and sow direct - I don't think you'll gain much benefit and it's a real faff.

3. Are your dimensions feet or inches?  Carrot fly is said not to fly above 24", but there is the wind to move them around ...

4. Yes.  Might need to add feed later in the growing season as compost doesn't have too many long-term nutrients.

Covering with enviromesh or other fine mesh is really what you want to consider to avoid the dreaded fly ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 21:36 »
I think your box would be ideal and of course you can easily provide a good stone-free soil to grow them in.

A height of 3' should do the job regarding carrot fly, but it can't be 100% guaranteed, however your box would be much easier to cover with environmesh than a long row of carrots in the open ground!

(If you decide to risk the barrier-only method don't site your 3' tall box next to a 2' high embankment!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 21:41 »
1. I'm not convinced that seasonal sowing as described will prevent the carrot fly.
- neither was I, so thanks - answers that one

2. I'd wait and sow direct - I don't think you'll gain much benefit and it's a real faff.
- being in the Midlands would you suggest April or would March be OK?

3. Are your dimensions feet or inches?  Carrot fly is said not to fly above 24", but there is the wind to move them around ...
- Sorry they are in feet. I have read they fly at 18", others tell me 2'.

4. Yes.  Might need to add feed later in the growing season as compost doesn't have too many long-term nutrients.
- What would you suggest? Growmore or something specific. I plan to incorporate well rotted muck low done or is this a no no?

Covering with enviromesh or other fine mesh is really what you want to consider to avoid the dreaded fly ...
- Had looked at this but may not need it at three feet high???

Thanks!

[edited to sort out quotes]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 22:36 by Yorkie »

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 21:51 »
I think your box would be ideal and of course you can easily provide a good stone-free soil to grow them in.
- Well it's a nod to the old boy who had the plot prior to his death; he might be looking down at me and shaking his head - you never know!

A height of 3' should do the job regarding carrot fly, but it can't be 100% guaranteed, however your box would be much easier to cover with environmesh than a long row of carrots in the open ground!
- Quite - just looked at it on ebay and in the Suttons catalogue - wildly varying prices. How long does it last as it makes for pricey carrots? Should I just cover the open top as the box is solid - no gaps!

(If you decide to risk the barrier-only method don't site your 3' tall box next to a 2' high embankment!)  :)
- no chance! ;)

Thanks!

[edited to sort out quotes]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 22:38 by Yorkie »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 22:08 »
You only need to cover the top.

Estimates for enviromesh lifespan seem to range from 5-10 years, which I'm sure has a lot to do with how roughly it's handled as well as the original quality of it.

You may want to consider net curtain material instead if you can get hold of it cheaply (not the sort with "holey" patterns!) Carrot flies are about the same size as small houseflies, by the way.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 22:35 »
You only need to cover the top.

Estimates for enviromesh lifespan seem to range from 5-10 years, which I'm sure has a lot to do with how roughly it's handled as well as the original quality of it.

You may want to consider net curtain material instead if you can get hold of it cheaply (not the sort with "holey" patterns!) Carrot flies are about the same size as small houseflies, by the way.

If it lasts that long I may well purchase some - is it something you can purchase by the metre rather than a pack which is all I can find?

Thanks again!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 22:39 »
You can buy it by the metre.  I got it from Harrod Horticultural (you can find their website through 'allotment shop' link at the top of the page, I think) but there will be other sites too.

Don't add manure to carrots or parsnips, they will fork in all likelihood.  Growmore or fish / blood / bone would be fine.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 23:27 »
You can buy it by the metre.  I got it from Harrod Horticultural (you can find their website through 'allotment shop' link at the top of the page, I think) but there will be other sites too.

Don't add manure to carrots or parsnips, they will fork in all likelihood.  Growmore or fish / blood / bone would be fine.

Kids might like it if the carrots fork - isn't that where they look like they have legs?

I will ditch the manure and bought fish, blood and bone already, so will add that thanks. Just ordered my enviromesh by the metre - thanks for your help.

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 00:06 »
If the box is 3 ft high you should not need any enviromesh as the flies do not fly that high.

The first carrot flies are on the wing about the same time as cow parsley comes into flower. If you sow in open ground in late March there is time to thin out when they are tiny, hoe the weeds out and cover with an envriomesh tent before they are ready to lay their eggs.

Kids might like it if the carrots fork - isn't that where they look like they have legs?
What an unprofessional attitude!
carrot man.jpg
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 00:15 by Salmo »

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:51 »
If the box is 3 ft high you should not need any enviromesh as the flies do not fly that high.

The first carrot flies are on the wing about the same time as cow parsley comes into flower. If you sow in open ground in late March there is time to thin out when they are tiny, hoe the weeds out and cover with an envriomesh tent before they are ready to lay their eggs.

What an unprofessional attitude!

I LOVE that picture! Kids would love him on their plate...
Thanks for advice, we do back onto fields where I am sure we will have a degree of cow parsley.
You find out all sorts of things on this forum.
 :D

xx
Early Nantes Carrots

Started by seeNeutral on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 17:46
by FRUITFULL
xx
Dissapointing Early nantes

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 18:00
by Sharonx
xx
Growing On - Anything Special Required

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 09:57
by webby139
clip
Advice required.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2022, 13:27
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 37 queries.