propagators???

• 10 Replies

Becci W

propagators???
« on: February 13, 2011, 19:36 »
Hi all!

I have had my plot for a couple of years now. I have a cold frame and have for the last few years nurtured my little seedlings on my bedroom window sill in pots with food bags over them. This is ok but gets very fiddly and messy. I can't help but think there must be an easier way to give my little seeds the best start in life!

I have seen the 'Super 7 propagator' (Harrod Horticulture) and was wondering if anyone has used this? There is a heated and an unheated version. Which one is best? My flat is generally quite warm so Im not sure whether I need the heated one.

I would be very grateful if those with a bit more experience could give me some advice on this before I part with my money as I know there are so many gadgets that aren't really essential!

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: propagators???
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 19:39 »
I have the heated version and really like it.

Others will tell you they are not necessary as you already know from using your placcy bags :)

spottymint

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 20:14 »
Hi

I don't have the same one, but a windowsil prop with 7 small trays.

Advantages, small trays for several types of seeds, useful in cold situations (unheated greenhouse/conservatory)

Dissadvantage, get's not much warmer than your average room, when seeds emerge I like to move them off heat.

I grow indoors to start my seeds & gave up using my heated propagator, I'm now a pot & placcy bag type. I use the airing cupboard for a few days & move to light/cooler conditions as soon as the 1st seeds show.

I do put my pot's onto trays on the window ledge, keeps them tidy & avoids water spills.

As mumofstig say's, people have different views.

At leat with the heated type, you can plug it in when you need too/want too or just use it unheated.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 20:38 »
I haven't got an airing cupboard, so the heated prop does that bit for me ;)

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 20:40 »
Hi all!

I have had my plot for a couple of years now. I have a cold frame and have for the last few years nurtured my little seedlings on my bedroom window sill in pots with food bags over them. This is ok but gets very fiddly and messy. I can't help but think there must be an easier way to give my little seeds the best start in life!

I have seen the 'Super 7 propagator' (Harrod Horticulture) and was wondering if anyone has used this? There is a heated and an unheated version. Which one is best? My flat is generally quite warm so Im not sure whether I need the heated one.

I would be very grateful if those with a bit more experience could give me some advice on this before I part with my money as I know there are so many gadgets that aren't really essential!

Thanks

I always use my cheapy Wilko Stanley ones and have them in my living room window sill (lots of light (SE facing) - also coal fire heating which does my peppers just brilliantly. Rest goes in my greenhouse once established/popped through. I don't use heated propagators and haven't struggled yet with germination. (FINGERS CROSSED NOW)
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 20:45 »
I swear by my heated propagator. I started with the Super 7 and last year bought a similar thing from Lidl which works as well. If you do go for the heated option, I recommend getting some extra trays. I take my seedlings off the heat quite quickly and it's good to have a few extra trays to slip into the empty slots on the heat for succession sowing  :D

Becci W

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 20:49 »
Hmm thanks for the opinions, can't decide what to do!

Have looked at the reviews and a few people have found them a bit flimsy, have you had that problem Carrotcake?

It mentions a 'capillary mat'. Does anyone know if you can buy this to put in seed trays instead of me buying the whole thing or is this a gimmick?

Im thinking I like it for how tidy it looks but the trays do look very small.....ahh decisions!!!

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 21:04 »
Our house is quite cold and it's difficult to keep the temperature fairly constant overnight. I generally use the heated propagator for chillis, tomatoes, aubergines and cucumbits, so don't need many of each, but find the ability to replace the trays with the spares useful.

They're not flimsy. My Super 7 is more than 6 years old and nothing's broken yet!

Becci W

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 21:27 »
Thanks for all the help, will mull over my decision for a few days! Getting very excited to start sowing again, trying some new things this year:

babycorn, pak choi and florence fennel.....any tips??

savbo

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37 »
It mentions a 'capillary mat'. Does anyone know if you can buy this to put in seed trays instead of me buying the whole thing or is this a gimmick?

A small roll of capillary matting is a useful thing to have around...as well as going under pots you can use it as a wick to slowly transfer water from adjacent vessel to seed tray.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01 »
I have a “Garland Super 7" - definitely not flimsey, and I too have bought additional trays (I bought extra clear plastic covers, but with hindsight that's not necessary as once they are off the heat they don't need a cover.

Some pictures and details on my blog (you'll find it using the "Blog Index")

xx
Propagators?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 07:34
by DD.
xx
Propagators

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 19:34
by mashauk
xx
Using propagators

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 17:13
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
When do I take stuff out of the propagators?

Started by JulesJ on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 16:17
by JulesJ

Page created in 0.871 seconds with 38 queries.