Verm-X - what exactly is it?! PLUS BREATHING PROBS need advice!!!

• 6 Replies

Blarney

• Experienced Member
Hi,
Please can you tell me whether Verm-X Internal Parasite Control would work on Gape Worm?

If I want to use it on ex batts who are still on layers mash as opposed to pellets, should I grind up the Verm-X to mix in?

Thanks
Claire x
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 16:56 by Blarney »
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

Casey76

Re: Verm-X - what exactly is it?!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 16:45 »
Gape worm will only be killed by a chemical wormer (like flubenvet).  Gape worm, however, is very rare.

VermX is a mix of natural herbs which have anecdotal or historical/traditional successes at reducing worm burden.  There are several theories on how this is accomplished, the main one being it alters the acidity/alkalinity of the digestive tract making it an unpalatable refuge for worms... however vermX DOES NOT KILL worms.

I would always recommend a chemical wormer over a natural product like vermX.  Flubenvet is not harmful to hour hens, so much so that there is no egg withdrawal period.

As flubenvet is a powder you can mix it directly with the mash (use 1 measure of 1% flubenvet in 2kg of mash, mix well, and use this feed only for one week).

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 16:46 »
It says on the blurb it gets rid of all known internal parasites.  It's organic and safe to use as a regular wormer for poultry. I use it for my girls but once a year I give them Flubenvet to ensure they're fully clear of worms, including gapeworm.  if you know your hen has gapeworm I'd use the Flubenvet

I'm not expert by any means and someone on here will probably be able to be more specific  :)

There's a detailed article about Flubenvet premixture on this forum. Have a look as I think there's probably a Sticky about it  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 16:50 »
You will probably be able to get a more precise answer from one of the real experts on here, but Verm-X can't be relied on to act as a complete wormer.  It deters worms but I am pretty sure it does not clear gape worm.

Most people on here use Flubenvet which will effectively clear all worms  :)

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 16:55 »
Thanks - you guys are quick to answer!

I'm a little puzzled.  The hen is one we got from a battery farm last Saturday so I would like to think she hasn't got worms.  She hasn't yet had the courage to step out of the big hen shed so she wouldn't have had much of a chance to pick anything up to get worms. 

That said, she looks exactly like the hen on YouTube who has gape worm - she's holding her head high, beak open and is taking deep breaths.  She is making no noise and has clear nose etc.  She obviously in a bad way as she is an ex batt so I'm a bit worried for her.

compostqueen

Re: Verm-X - what exactly is it?! PLUS BREATHING PROBS need advice!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 17:09 »
"She is obviously in a bad way as she is an ex-bat"

I'm not sure that that's going to be a foregone conclusion. I think ex batts are more than well medicated but you're right to keep an eye on her and raise your concerns

Joyfull or Grannie Annie maybe about later and they'll know

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: Verm-X - what exactly is it?! PLUS BREATHING PROBS need advice!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:41 »
Have you contacted the people who were re-homing the ex-batts? this may be something they have come across before, I can't help anymore than what has already been said, flubenvet is always recommended you can get it from animalmedicines.co.uk, with free delivery.

xx
need advice on Flubenvet, verm-x, breeding process, and laying

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 07, 2012, 08:12
by Sassy
xx
Verm-X

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 09:03
by joyfull
xx
Verm-X

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 21:49
by muntjac
xx
PLEASE HELP egg hatching probs

Started by quackers11 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 19:10
by rileyfin

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 29 queries.