Away in a manger, Christmas tree for a bed

• 13 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Away in a manger, Christmas tree for a bed
« on: February 03, 2011, 00:09 »
Being a frugal chicken-keeper, I grabbed my neighbours' cast off Christmas tree to use as coop litter.  The tree had sat outside for a month (in mid summer sunshine) so was very dry.  Yesterday I stripped all the needles off and spread them on the floor of the coop.

After feeling very smug for 24 hours, I thought I had better check here to make sure there are no faults with my plan!   If there is a major fault I can (reluctantly) rake the pine needles out again.

I will be getting six-week-old pullets next week, and intend to keep them in the coop for the first five days as they have never been outside before (I have been monitoring the temperature in the coop and they won't get over-heated). 

The coop has a dirt floor so I'm layering the floor up with dry litter.  I started by dusting it with dolomite, then added a layer of dry sand, and have been adding layers of dried leaves as they become available.  Mostly they are macadamia leaves but I have added 'strewing herbs' such as tansy, wormwood, lavender and pennyroyal (yes Hillfooter, I must be a witch ;)). 

The pine needles are the final topping, about 5cm deep over the whole floor.

I'm not even sure what sort of tree it is.  It's not pinus radiata which is the only pine I'm really familiar with.  It might be some kind of fir(?)  The needles are really soft, and there are lots of them for quite a small tree.

So does my plan seem ok?  Anything I should watch out for?

Helenaj

Re: Away in a manger, Christmas tree for a bed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:25 »
Can you ask your neighbour where they had the tree from and check with the seller? They should know what type of pine tree it is. Some pines can be poisonous depending on the genus they belong to. Please see the attached site which specifically deals with pine trees from New Zealand:
http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_5976996_pine-trees-poisonous_.html. You'll need to copy it into your browser as I'm hopeless at attaching links!

Although it deals mainly with cattle, there is obviously a risk of poisoning if they injest enough of it.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:56 »
Thanks, Helenaj!  That's really helpful.  I will check with the neighbour and also read the articles you linked to.  Only a couple of days to chicken-time so I had better find out fast!

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:06 »
I cant help but i remember the days just before i got my chickens and am sending you good luck wishes

Rachel

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:17 »
Thanks Rachel.  I am completely over-excited like a child before Christmas.  I will try to calm down and be a sensible chicken-keeper.   :blink:  :D

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:25 »
Surely you didn'tput "sensible" and "chicken keeper" in the same sentence? Enjoy your girls - what type are you getting?
ManicMum

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 19:51 »
Thanks ManicMum.  I'm getting two Light Sussex, two Barnevelders and two Barred Rocks.  All hardy, docile heavy breeds that (hopefully) won't be leaping over fences any chance they get.

I'm getting closer to identifying my pine tree.  Mine has three pine needles in each bundle.  From an article on the site Helenaj linked to:

To determine the particular type of pine tree, count the amount of needles per bundle. ... Trees with three needles per bundle include the Pond Pine and Loblolly Pine...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 19:55 by Lindeggs »

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 20:39 »
Good luck with your girls, Lindeggs,  :) 
Be prepared to want to increase your flock!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 00:43 »
Thanks bn.  The local regulations say I can only keep six hens (no roosters).  Unfortunately I am really bad at counting so it's possible an extra one or two might sneak in without me noticing.   :unsure:

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 17:15 »
Thanks bn.  The local regulations say I can only keep six hens (no roosters).  Unfortunately I am really bad at counting so it's possible an extra one or two might sneak in without me noticing.   :unsure:

Bad Lindeggs!!

I hope the neighbours can't count either! lol

Of course it's a scientific fact that chickens can appear spontaneously out of nowhere - at least that's what I keep telling OH....

Good luck, and if all else fails... you're dispraxic (think that's the word) so its not your fault. :tongue2: :tongue2:

Pertelotte x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 17:26 »
Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new girls when you get them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 20:43 »
Well today was meant to be Chicken Day but the supplier sent me an email and asked me to put it off for another couple of weeks to let the 6-week-olds become 8-week-olds and get a little stronger.

I know it's the sensible thing to do but I'm very disappointed.   :(

I can't help wondering what's going on here as she was the one who told me I needed to get them at 5 or 6 weeks as she couldn't hold them for longer than that... hmmm...

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 21:17 »
It would be reasonable to ask for a bit more info - but you don't have  lot of options unless you are near enough to pop in....

bantam novice

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 19:46 »
What a let down  :(

You must be so disappointed.

Maybe your supplier can forget how to count and sneak an extra one in because of the delay...or maybe not  ::)

xx
Christmas Egg!!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 19:50
by Selkie
xx
Christmas chooks with pic now

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 14, 2009, 14:18
by Beano
xx
Christmas mixture (1)

Started by ehs284 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 19, 2009, 10:19
by newChickenMummy
xx
Eggs for Christmas

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 10:55
by Blarney

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 30 queries.