Christmas Egg!!

• 21 Replies

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Christmas Egg!!
« on: January 03, 2008, 19:42 »
I know every 'chicken parent' is super proud of their first egg but I felt the need to share my excitement!!

We raised three chicks from day old last spring - two silkies and one sultan (got at the insistance of my other half for 'comedy value'). We were resigned to not getting eggs till spring so went away to sunny Kerry for Christmas and got back new year's eve. Opened the fridge to find our nextdoor neighbour, who had been looking after the chickens and cat, had put a bowl with sultan's (Ethel's) eggs in it - I swear finding 6 first eggs was six times as exciting as finding one. We were so proud we posed her for her portrait!! Comedy value chicken had the last laugh waiting till we went on holiday to produce eggs!!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 19:46 »
elvis is wondering if ethel is single? :wink:

Selkie

Re: Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 19:48 »
Quote from: "mdueal"
I know every 'chicken parent' is super proud of their first egg but I felt the need to share my excitement!!

went away to sunny Kerry for Christmas and got back new year's eve.

Congrats on your eggs, and hope you had a nice holiday (I live in Kerry :D )

WG.

Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 19:49 »
Quote from: "babe"
Would either of them be able to see the other ??

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 19:51 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "babe"
Would either of them be able to see the other ??

you know what they say, love is blind.  :)

Fat Hen

Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 19:58 »
She's georgous, I too have a Silkie (Daisy) and a Sultan (Polly) plus 3 ex bats.  Polly was the first of my little chucks to start laying though shes off lay at the moment, She's moulting (seems to be going on forever, her pom pom a bit scruffy the last bit of her to moult).

I trim her pom pom (very carefully) to allow her to see better as she was beginning to get startled very easily.

My two:

mdueal

• Experienced Member
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 20:10 »
I did try trimming her hair but without much success. She gets around ok - gets a bit left out when treats are given though. She cries blue murder when the silkie boy gets amorous - i suppose it takes her by surprise! We would love to get a couple of poland friends for her then they could wander round confused together.

Its funny how you start out saying - we will just have two. Then you come home with three. Then you pass an animal rescue sanctuary and come home with five more - including rambo the one eyed pekin cockerel!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 20:13 »
Rosmary - where abouts do you live? We had a great time thanks - was visiting my parents who live near cahersiveen. Lovely to be able to go the the beach everday rather than landlocked midlands (I still can't get over the fact they have sea cadets in birmingham!). We couldn't stop planning what we would grow and what animals we would have if we had my parents land though so it was a dangerous time!

Selkie

Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 21:07 »
Quote from: "mdueal"
Rosmary - where abouts do you live? We had a great time thanks - was visiting my parents who live near cahersiveen. Lovely to be able to go the the beach everday rather than landlocked midlands (I still can't get over the fact they have sea cadets in birmingham!). We couldn't stop planning what we would grow and what animals we would have if we had my parents land though so it was a dangerous time!

Where near Cahersiveen?  :D I live in Waterville - only 10 miles away!!

I used live in the West Midlands when we were in England and I felt so landlocked at times, we'd drive to the Welsh coast for the day sometimes but it never was the same as the beaches I was used to here. I don't think I could have stuck living there much longer, we were lucky we were in a ''posh'' area (Hagley) and could go walking in the woods at weekends etc but I have salt water in my blood  :wink:

ness

• Experienced Member
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 21:21 »
Oooh I'm going to have to post my usual whinge of jealousy  :wink: and ofcourse a huge well done to your lady Ethel.  I'm still waiting for my first egg and know I'm going to be totally over excited when it (finally :x ) happens.
I was planning to hatch some silkies to increase the comedy value of my chooks ( have 3 light suss banties at the moment) but you might have converted me to sultans!   :lol:

Foxy

Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 21:38 »
Ahh Sultans are beeautiful - do they have 5 toes?? And how is Elvis now??? Haven't seen a pic for a while ...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 21:47 »
I never get tired of collecting eggs  :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 21:49 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Ahh Sultans are beeautiful - do they have 5 toes?? And how is Elvis now??? Haven't seen a pic for a while ...

he's doing wonderfully foxy, cant keep the king down for long  :wink:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 21:50 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I never get tired of collecting eggs  :D

me neither, but that could be because i cant remember the last time one of the girls popped one out :roll:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Christmas Egg!!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 21:51 »
Poor creatures - got no eyes  :(

xx
Christmas chooks with pic now

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 14, 2009, 14:18
by Beano
xx
Eggs for Christmas

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 10:55
by Blarney
xx
Christmas mixture (1)

Started by ehs284 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 19, 2009, 10:19
by newChickenMummy
xx
Christmas Turkey

Started by kegs on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 14:56
by kegs

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 36 queries.