When and how to Chit?

• 18 Replies

fatbelly

Re: When and how to Chit?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 19:44 »

Can I ask, do you chit 1st, 2nd and main crop tatties all at the same time? And then get them into the ground at the same?

Do the potatoes grow at different speeds, is that what gives you the different times to lift them?

Getting a bit lost/confused.....  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  in all the excitement
I definitely chit 1st earlies, sometimes 2nd earlies and my Maincrop goes into the ground in whatever stage of chiiting they are or are not at.

I did read somewhere on the net that apart from earlies chittng is something you can do to pass the time away and  that's all.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 19:46 »
i chit all my spuds at the same time and they all go in on paddys day
however 3 weeks later we had a -6 frost so you can be caught unawares so to speak

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 20:25 »
I'm in the South and put my earlies in on St patrick's and then the 2nds and mains get put in over the next few weeks, chitted or not, as and when my back allows ::)

Even if they were all planted at the same time they would still all be ready in the correct order.
1sts take about 10 weeks till they're ready to harvest, 2nds take about 13 weeks and mains take about 20 weeks :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 20:53 »

Can I ask, do you chit 1st, 2nd and main crop tatties all at the same time? And then get them into the ground at the same?

Do the potatoes grow at different speeds, is that what gives you the different times to lift them?

Getting a bit lost/confused.....  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  in all the excitement

Yes, all can be chitted and planted at the same time.  The distinction between them, as MoS has posted, is in how long they take to reach harvesting time.  The First earlies are ready soonest, then the seconds, then the maincrops.  Just make sure you keep good labels of which row is which!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Fartichokes - to chit or not to chit?

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2007, 18:10
by GrannieAnnie
xx
To chit or not to chit, that is the question!!

Started by Coltar223 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 21:38
by Ice
xx
To chit or not to chit?

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2013, 23:16
by Salmo
xx
Can you over chit?!

Started by Frog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 12:33
by DD.

Page created in 0.815 seconds with 32 queries.