What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2745 on: December 19, 2011, 03:48 »
Really sorry to hear of the damage Lizzie. So disheartening.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jmc1949

« Reply #2746 on: December 19, 2011, 15:06 »
Today i went to the plot at 10.30am.
The sun was shining but the floor was slippy with ice.
I got to my allotment and was shocked at what I found.
My greenhouse was in pieces and the frame was twisted and attached to my next door neighbours greenhouse  :(

I have/had a poly-carbonate greenhouse, it was a 6x8. I managed to unattach it from next doors' greenhouse, and managed to pile up the panels.
The frame is beyond repair, but the panels are ok so i'm either going to sell them on ebay, or keep them and try and build my own shed/greenhouse combo.
The ground was too hard to dig, but my hot vimto tasted good

Sorry to hear about your plot problems, Lizzie. Your only about 8 miles from me, and after the fierce winds we had last week, went to check my plot. Fortunately, the only problem I have is the water barrel that I emptied is now down in the stream which runs behind the allotment site. The barrel itself is OK, so I've come of lightly compared with you Lizzie.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2747 on: December 19, 2011, 18:41 »
Shame Lizzie - what bad luck. I will make sure mine is roped down!! Hope you can sort something out.

Not been to the plot today but spent some time last night designing a vertical standing cold frame... it will be great once finished and will give me extra roof space to collect water for my 1000 lt IBC raiwater tank..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 18:43 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Matt6930

« Reply #2748 on: December 19, 2011, 21:49 »
Checked the leeks and that everything was still in the green house/shed.

Apparently there's someone who has a key to the allotment that is stealing other peoples veg/plants/equipment etc

Grounds to wet to dig, it like trying to dig into clay at the moment, when in actual fact its meant to be light soil  :wub:

snowdrops

« Reply #2749 on: December 19, 2011, 22:08 »

Apparently there's someone who has a key to the allotment that is stealing other peoples veg/plants/equipment etc

Can you not change the locks
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #2750 on: December 19, 2011, 23:44 »

The lock isn't usually the problem, it's getting all the keys cut for everyone at £2-£3 per key, it soon adds up.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2751 on: December 19, 2011, 23:52 »
Had a great day with collecting jam jars from responses in the local freecycle.. More to collect tomorrow!  .... getting prepared for my first berries on my new plot. next year.. I'm going to have loads of jam and jelly sessions  :D   

ps. Santa found me a maslin jam pan from ebay the other day.  :blink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #2752 on: December 20, 2011, 03:32 »

The lock isn't usually the problem, it's getting all the keys cut for everyone at £2-£3 per key, it soon adds up.

Same on our site but we have about three different sets of locks. Every once in a while the locks are changed and we swap old keys for "new". A year or two down the line another of the locks is fitted and we go back to an older key.

(Hush though... most people think we use new locks each time. Far too expensive an option. As you say its the 200+ keys that cost the money!!)

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2753 on: December 20, 2011, 08:45 »

Same on our site but we have about three different sets of locks. Every once in a while the locks are changed and we swap old keys for "new". A year or two down the line another of the locks is fitted and we go back to an older key.

(Hush though... most people think we use new locks each time. Far too expensive an option. As you say its the 200+ keys that cost the money!!)

Wouldn't a number combination lock be better? It would save the cost of keys although it does then mean having to contact everybody with the new number which I suppose could be a problem.
Our communal shed has one of these, although the last break in we had, they took out the screws in the hinges  :wub:
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

snowdrops

« Reply #2754 on: December 20, 2011, 10:36 »
it needs to be a strong deterrent then. I bet we could all come up with something if we tried hard lol. :blink: :blink:

Matt6930

« Reply #2755 on: December 20, 2011, 14:43 »
The locks are meant to be changing to the same ones that are currently on the water taps. That should solve the problem as the water tap keys are given out separately by one lady and she has a record of who's got what. If that doesn't work then I suppose that the locks will have to be change fully, and that is a real problem, getting new keys for everyone etc.

Our site raised funds to put up a new fence right around the whole site, since the fence has gone up the only break ins we've had are the ones from the person who owns a key.  :blink:

snowdrops

« Reply #2756 on: December 20, 2011, 16:14 »
It sounds like you know who it is can you not catch them at it & get the police involved. If they get caught they might not be tempted to try stealing elsewhere.

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2757 on: December 20, 2011, 17:05 »
Been to the lotty today and measured up . I've got to work out some kind of growing strategy now :unsure:
This should give me a nice headache :tongue2: I'm looking forward to growing,now then,where to start? :D
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2758 on: December 20, 2011, 19:30 »
Been to the lotty today and measured up . I've got to work out some kind of growing strategy now :unsure:
This should give me a nice headache :tongue2: I'm looking forward to growing,now then,where to start? :D

Paper and a pencil might be the place to start, as you an try all sorts of things out from the warmth of your sofa over the festive season  :D  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2759 on: December 20, 2011, 21:25 »
I'm on it  Sunshine :blink:,on my 3rd shet of A4 already  :nowink:
I do like the look of Growveg,I might give it a go

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.723 seconds with 31 queries.