What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2445 on: October 21, 2011, 00:32 »
mine dates from the early 70's I think.
Grendel

Mine was 2nd hand when my dad bought it in 1967. Amazing how the old ones just keep on going.  ;)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 00:36 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2446 on: October 21, 2011, 08:26 »

i hadn't been down the Lottie for several days last week in-fact when i harvested my potato crop which incidentally was the best i have grown for some years  so i ventured down yesterday with a load of horse dung  :D

the autumn frost had polished off the runner beans on all the plots including ours also most tender plants looked very sad :(

i was lucky that i had my tractor and not the car as the grass track on the Lottie is getting impassable for cars now until the spring and the incline from the Lottie to the road is definitely a no no for cars :unsure:

so i unloaded my dung and surveyed whats to be done today a clear up of the runner beans spead the dung in preparation for ploughing the ground next week still busy fetching tender plants into the greenhouse at home so must dash weathers looking fine the Lottie is waiting for me hopefully resume back to site latter TTNF :D :D :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #2447 on: October 21, 2011, 10:19 »
The nearest I'm getting to an allotment, at the moment, is nipping into allotment forums. I'm hoping for a free week-end.  :unsure:

grendel

« Reply #2448 on: October 21, 2011, 14:06 »
went to the other plot today, frost had got the remaining squash plants so I picked what I could then pulled up what was left, rotovated the plot, just a quick once over, used a whole tank of fuel. that should keep things going for a few days.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

jmc1949

« Reply #2449 on: October 21, 2011, 15:07 »
Planted strawberry's into a raised bed. Strimmed around 7 raised beds.
Jenny

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2450 on: October 21, 2011, 15:35 »
Popped down at lunch time and watered in the poly tunnel.

Found the fleece I laid over the onions and garlic to keep the birds off ripped to shreds and with distinct, cat shaped, muddy foot prints in it. Need to go back tonight and put more fleece over it raised up on canes so that it's not lying on the floor and making a tempting looking bed for Mr Moggie.

Found the biggest of the spring cabbages I put in last week has the top half of each leaf missing. Used salvageable offcuts of the ripped fleece from the onions over the remains of it and the three smaller, untouched cabbages. I hope there is a pigeon around here with a bad case of indigestion.

Ate a French bean and a radish as I still hadn't eaten my lunch and was getting peckish. Made sure to nibble around the slug hole in the radish.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2451 on: October 21, 2011, 20:49 »
Recycled some pallets and blocks from a builders skip to make the base for my GH in the new lottie.

Unscrewed the shed from the base frame and planned the move of the shed I bought from a neighbour lottie..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

daybreak

« Reply #2452 on: October 21, 2011, 23:26 »
Same as I have been doing for the last 7 days, clearing nettles / old carpets / old lino and tons of slate from my new allotment. I have completed one bed though, my neighbour was so impressed she went and fetched some onions for me to plant,,I was so excited about planting my first crop in the allotment I forgot to remember what the onions were called  :blink:

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2453 on: October 22, 2011, 03:09 »
mine dates from the early 70's I think.
Grendel
Mine was 2nd hand when my dad bought it in 1967. Amazing how the old ones just keep on going.  ;)
They been built to work, not to buy-and-dump  :wub:

Yesterday went to the plot, tried to till some weeds, but soil was wet, so did just little bit. Had a chat with neigborough. He confirmed my guess about soil acidity, so i took some samples for test. Also found out place, where i can get FREE fresh horse manure, just have to pick up by myself. Finished day at home&garden centre - got some lime to correct pH level. Last night rain started and keep going now  :blush: Looks like autumn, but maples are still green  :D

daybreak  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #2454 on: October 22, 2011, 12:58 »
Sounds like some very busy people on the plot.  :)

I'm off to tackle the huge hedge along one side of a place we've just acquired for my elderly parents. Nice big garden but too much shade.

There's a patch of lawn at the far end and I'm hoping that will become a new veg garden as it's just across the road from where I live.

All I need is another Sunday in the week.  ::)

jmc1949

« Reply #2455 on: October 22, 2011, 14:15 »
My sister wanted to see my newly acquired allotment, so I said 'bring your wellies and spade, I've a job for you!'. (I had a deep raised bed in the wrong place for the plans I've made.) So we cleared an 8 x 4 raised bed, all the soil (at least a ton) removed into another raised bed and then moved the existing raised bed into the correct position. Don't think she will be back any time soon.  :)
Jenny

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2456 on: October 22, 2011, 17:50 »
Dug, dug, dug then dug some more...  :)

daybreak

« Reply #2457 on: October 22, 2011, 19:00 »
Brilliant day  :D my lad jack came down with his strimmer and other big tools..I can walk right to the end of my allotment now and survey all that is mine!!! I have got loads of photo's but can't upload cus I've lost my card reader but will find soon hopefully. All the near neighbours brought their unwanted stuff round so now have chairs, camp cooker, more tools and a sandpit for little Ruby my granddaughter. Heaven  :D

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2458 on: October 22, 2011, 21:50 »
Dug holes for the corner posts and placed the second two raised beds on the plot, cleared the lumps and weeds out of half a path, and dug over half of the bed I used to grow things in this summer now that it's vacant.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2459 on: October 22, 2011, 22:01 »
I've been really busy today. moved the shed from another lottie and started to get the ground leveled for the greenhouse.  Tomorrow raise the fence a couple of feet, do the base blocks for the GH to sit on then tidy all the pallets etc and get the all the piles of cut greenery ready for a bonfire!!
Photo 22-11 8full site2.jpg

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 29 queries.