What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

tontom

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2011, 15:30 »
not been down today but called at nursery to get my veg seeds and a tub of chicken pellets that i've never used before. It's raining here today and the forecast for the next 2 days is the same doh !!!!!!!!!!  >:(

brewerboy

« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2011, 16:14 »
10 rows of rough digging, more mucking and laid 8 2x2 slabs. I'm knackered and ready for a pint!

digalotty

« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2011, 17:31 »
my plot is in quite good nick considering Ive not been there for a couple of months,  so today i took out my bean canes and have dug the bed over and covered with muck, took out my sprout stems and dug that bed over .
new bed ready for next years beans and will have a trench system this time .
the fence that backs on to my allotment has been broke by all the strong winds and was flapping and clattering about so i have screwed a rail across to braice it
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2011, 17:44 »
my plot is in quite good nick considering Ive not been there for a couple of months,  so today i took out my bean canes and have dug the bed over and covered with muck, took out my sprout stems and dug that bed over .
new bed ready for next years beans and will have a trench system this time .
the fence that backs on to my allotment has been broke by all the strong winds and was flapping and clattering about so i have screwed a rail across to braice it

Sounds like youve been busy mate :D

Way too windy and wet to get anything done up here :(
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

digalotty

« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2011, 17:58 »
very windy here to but quite mild and warm  :) i really enjoyed being on my plot today didnt see anyone else there though and a couple of half plots that have not been touched for a long time ,   i wonder if they will be up for a new owner this year ;) i might enquire as they get moore sun than my little plot

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2011, 18:03 »
Been down to cover the shallots I popped in yesterday with pea netting to keep those pesky birds off.

Tried to hang C.D.s on fishing line above (belt and braces) but as fast as I was tying them up the wind was sawing the C.D.s and cutting the fishing line.  Back to the drawing board.   ::) Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2011, 19:44 »
10 rows of rough digging, more mucking and laid 8 2x2 slabs. I'm knackered and ready for a pint!

Sounds like our day - shovelling rotted muck along beds and between raspberry canes, gave rhubarb a huge dose too. More digging over - looking good now. Put in 13 2 x 3' paving slab path. Neither I nor Mr VVG can stand up straight. Wind was whipping up over the allotment but it was lovely over the fields to the river. Called at Wyevale on way home, got some gardening club bargains - Chicken pellets half price and buy 1 get 1 free if anyone is interested. Bought peat pots on offer and seed trays, also Tomorite - all on offer. But the best purchase were mynew leather Gold Leaf gloves - am in heaven.
Roaring fire and beef stew now but no beer  :ohmy:
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2011, 20:22 »
Today ive removed three trugs of weeds, half dug over another raised bed, attempted to make my path flat and collected a bucket of stones. BUT the one thing im super proud of is pulling out a huge bramble root that i couldnt get out last year, im sure ive left a few bits but the amount of times i tripped over it last year its worth it!

Doddy

• Always learning
« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2011, 08:34 »
Went to take a potting bench and some staging down for the greenhouse... which had been torn apart in the high winds, spreading panels everywhere and leaving a twisted mass of cheap aluminium.

Another greenhouse ordered :(

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2011, 09:37 »
Yesterday I dug and weeded a 4x5 metre bed for my peas and beans, covered with muck and battled with a huge piece of black plastic in high winds to cover the bed :wacko:
Also covered my blackcurrant bush as bullfinces stripped the bush last year of buds...
Mucked strawbs and rhubarb (stray roots found in hedge, had those!!)
Am now crippled! but I am 5 months pregnant so I have an excuse!

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2011, 11:38 »
Yesterday I dug and weeded a 4x5 metre bed for my peas and beans, covered with muck and battled with a huge piece of black plastic in high winds to cover the bed :wacko:
Also covered my blackcurrant bush as bullfinces stripped the bush last year of buds...
Mucked strawbs and rhubarb (stray roots found in hedge, had those!!)
Am now crippled! but I am 5 months pregnant so I have an excuse!

All good exercise your body will thank you :) rain and more rain here with clay soil so no work on my little plot and am in work latter so not best pleased :( bought a Raspberry cane though yesterday gloves and some seed trays all from Wilkinsons all under a tenner

:D :D

Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

plum crumble

« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2011, 12:13 »
 :wacko: I think I am going to have to start another thread saying, "What I WOULD do on the plot today, if only I could get there"

yours sincerely

Stir-crazy of Maidenhead
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

digalotty

« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2011, 12:38 »
jome , take it easy as you say you are 5months pregnant :)

plum you make me laugh :D  spot on

Gareth J

« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2011, 13:05 »
today, i managed to get down to my plot and finally managed to lime it ! do you thnk i've left it too late  :unsure:
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

lizzie1982

« Reply #224 on: February 06, 2011, 13:10 »
I haven't been to my plot for what seems like forever (2weeks) as I have been training my naughty puppy to behave and fundraising as I got my hair shaved off for charity on Friday night!

However, I have bought some seeds - ready to plant in my indoor greenhouse at some point.
I've got courgettes, beetroot, purple podded peas, purple carrots, rhubarb, runner beans, parsnips, sweetcorn for the kids to plant, erm........

Last time I went to my plot, Myself and my boys finished turning over the soil, and marked out where the new raised beds are going to be built.
I also have a big pile of pallets, which at some point this month, will be used to build my shed!
Next week I will be making the raised beds from donated scaffolding boards, and digging in the horse muck.  That's if this rain will stop!

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 29 queries.