Starting with day old chicks.

• 31 Replies

orchardlady

Starting with day old chicks.
« on: January 10, 2011, 21:04 »
Well I'm afraid I'm hijacking your ideas there Mulberry and would love to hear from people about starting out with day old chicks. I've kept hens for a very long time and done chicks with broodie hens but they do all the work looking after the little bundles of fluff. So any tips and hints would be wonderful. For example I see you use a lamp with a bulb in it Grannieannie, is that from the start or do you use a brooder first? Love to hear from you chick raisers.

OL

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Starting with day old chicks.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 21:11 »
Ive bought a brroder which gives off a gentle heat and put that in a plastic container, the storage type, and will have enough room for the water and food pot as well.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 21:20 »
I have a brooder the same as Min200's in an indoor rabbit hutch, Little ramp up to a second level where I put the food and water to save it getting full of shavings (but not until they are a week or so old.
They use a cardboard box until then) I have hatched with a broody before, but mum tends to keep them hidden a bit, i like to watch them grow  :)

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 21:25 »
Do you do all this inside your home or would a shed be OK? I have evil dogs and wicked cats you see....

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 21:28 »
I do it in the house but as long as you had electric to a shed or outbuilding then I dont see any reason why you couldnt do it there  :)

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 21:36 »
This is going to sound a bit stupid but... is a brooder instead of a lightbulb?
I don't really understand what one is!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 22:00 »
Last May I had 2 x day old chicks which my broody hen rejected after 1 night.  I had to hastily set up a heat lamp for them.  I used my dogs old wire cage lined with paper and a towel to stop their legs slipping.  The heat lamp was quite big for just the 2 of them and I had to work at getting it at the right height so it wasn't too hot for them.  Over the space of a few weeks I raised it slightly to lower the temperature.  also because it was summer adn they were in a spare room I was able to turn the heat off for periods of time during the day.  I found they gradually moved away fromt the heat as they grew.  It was fun to introduce them slowly to other trusted hens inteh garden at about 8 weeks old for short periods of time.  Took them out onto the grass with another broody I'd used in the past and who seemed to show them how to eat grass and scratch teh soil.  Eventually put them with other 6 hens at about 12 weeks old.  Mind you they still haven;t learnt to lay a blasted egg yet ....either of them!!!!!!

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 23:12 »

Yes, Both emit heat but the brooder does it without the light  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 23:31 »

I think Min means a brooder lamp like the one I put on the link for you.  A brooder is the box or shed that the chicks are raised in.

Different people use different words sometimes and it can be confusing for a beginner!  Don't worry Mulberry, we'll look after you!

Orchardlady, most of my chicks are raised in my brooder sheds, its only where I've hatched a few pure breeds that I use the boxes.  If you look at the photo's I put on Mulberry's thread, you can see the brooder boxes are in my big brooder shed where the turkey babies go in August.

These are my brooder sheds!  But you can put the brooder box in a shed like I did, as long as they don't get any draughts.  I've used cardboard  and hardboard to make a brooder ring in the sheds when they are a bit bigger.  2ft high as they soon learn to fly up and over!

The corners re rounded off so that if anything frightens the chicks, they don't pile into corners and suffocte each other!  It does happen, believe me!  The young Amberlinks at about 7-9 weeks were the worse.  Something must have frightened them in the night, and even with the rounded corners, the next mornng I picked up 48 little bodies piled about 5 high in the big shed!

Oh and so they don't eat the shavings or slide aorund and get spraddle leg, I put the shavings down first then cover them with either an old clean pillowcase or kitchen towel if its in a small brooder box, or an old clean sheet that I get from car boots or auctions if its in the shed.  That way they are still warm and cosy, but can't eat the shavings.  After about 4-5 days once they are eating well and know where their food is, I gently peel the sheet away and throw it as its covered in poo, and they still have their nice clean shavings underneath!
brooder 2.jpg
DSCF0012.JPG
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 23:35 by GrannieAnnie »

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 02:09 »
I don't quite work on the scale that Grannie does but usually hatch from 24 to 6 eggs at a time.  I usually hatch in March and I just transfer my chicks straight from the incubator to a brooder in a shed with a heat lamp as soon as they are dry and strong enough to stand.  It's best to have two lamps running if you can in case one bulb goes which can happen of course.  I usually get them to drink and eat chick crumbs after 24 to 36 hrs after hatching and have had no difficulty teaching them.  Tapping your finger on the food to imitate the pecking motion and dipping their beeks in the water is usually all that is required.

I use shavings from the off and have a plywood board with a fine 6mm weldmesh stapled to it which prevents them slipping.  I just put the crumbs directly on that to start with and a very shallow saucer with water.  You can use a jam jar lid to start them but once they've taken their first sips on day one I use a chick drinker.  This has a small trough but is otherwise like a very small chicken drinker.  Some people use dishes with marbles in it to prevent them drowning but I don't like to do this as they paddle about in it if it's too big and get wet and foul it.  

Once they've learnt to eat and that's usually only after day one in the brooder I use a long small plastic feeder trough which has a compartmented lid which prevents them scratching the crumbs out.  As soon as one learns the others follow quickly.  I put the drinker and feeder on a plywood board as described earlier and slowly raise it up on  wood/bricks as they grow so their backs are always below the lips to prevent them fouling the food and water with droppings.  The board being raised prevents them scratching shavings into their feed and water.

Below are photos from several hatchings at different times

Hatchlings in a Brinsea Octagon DX20 (note egg dividers should really have been removed at day 18 when turning is stopped before they hatched).

Here they are immediately after being transfered to the brooder note drinker and thermometer - adjust lamp so it's around 37degC at 5cm above litter directly under lamp

Day old Vorwerks and modern game

This is what the brooder looks like.  Made from melamine wardrobe doors.  Here the litter is Hemcore.

At 3 and a half weeks old.  Note two lamps being used.  Chicks are Barnevelders, Light & Buff Sussex, Speckled Sussex and Vorwerks.

In Summer I generally put them out on grass in a covered run at 6 weeks and ween them over to growers pellets.  I let them free range from 8 to 10 weeks and ad lib growers and a small handful of corn in the evening.

Once hatched I've never lost a chick of the hundred or so I've hatched in the past 5 years.

HF

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 14:11 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 16:55 »
I forgot there was a brooder lamp as well.  I use this type of brooder for keeping them warm...

Strange name and confusing but the company that make them call them brooders as well!

Just keep asking away as we all use slighty different terminology/meanings for the same words!!

Confused yet??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 17:34 »
How cute are those chicks!!
Even more excited about getting some now =D

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 18:39 »
The black and yellow 'brooder'.. is that like a little radiator for them?  ::)
Would that be suitable for just four chicks, or is it more for large scale?
x

orchardlady

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 20:27 »
Fabulous responses all and one. Keep em coming...still not sure if I'll go for it but I'm sorely tempted.

OL

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 20:58 »
I forgot there was a brooder lamp as well.  I use this type of brooder for keeping them warm...

Strange name and confusing but the company that make them call them brooders as well!

Just keep asking away as we all use slighty different terminology/meanings for the same words!!

Confused yet??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh THAT sort?  That's a bit like an electric mother hen isn't it Min??

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 28 queries.