Starting with day old chicks.

• 31 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Re: Starting with day old chicks.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 21:00 »
The black and yellow 'brooder'.. is that like a little radiator for them?  ::)
Would that be suitable for just four chicks, or is it more for large scale?
x

Im using mine at the moment for 4 chicks that hatched on 4th Dec.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 21:06 »
Does it just stand in the box with them?
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 21:10 »
Yep  :) Has quite a long lead for power supply too

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 21:19 »
ooo I like the sound of that! Seems a lot easier than trying to hang a light, i'm so rubbish at DIY i'd have probably ended up burning the house down.
I've found one online for £29.95 is that about what you'd expect to pay for it?

Next stage of my planning.... feeders and drinker! Is there any kind you'd recommend for chicks?

Thank you for all the help, I'd be lost without you!
=) 

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 21:28 »
I forgot there was a brooder lamp as well.  I use this type of brooder for keeping them warm...

Strange name and confusing but the company that make them call them brooders as well!

Just keep asking away as we all use slighty different terminology/meanings for the same words!!

Confused yet??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh THAT sort?  That's a bit like an electric mother hen isn't it Min??

Indeed it is Grannie :D :D

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 21:29 »
£29.99 is about right for one and they use very little electric as well :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 21:30 »
It actually looks like a little hospital bed!!    :D :D :D

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 21:31 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It does!!!  Never noticed that before :lol: :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 21:35 »
Perhaps you could put more chicks on the top and tuck them in with a little duvet?   :lol: :lol:

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 21:38 »
Perhaps you could put more chicks on the top and tuck them in with a little duvet?   :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stan deakin

• Stan's Bantams
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 12:13 »
brilliant pics and very helpful well done

stan

hillfooter

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 16:04 »
I notice in this post people are unsure what brooding means.  Basically it's the period between when a chick hatches and when it's old enough to fend for itself.  Usually this is up to 8 to 10 weeks or so.  If the hatch was being brooded by a mother hen (broody) then she would protect and keep the chicks warm by sitting on them or sheltering them under her wing.  She would lead them on forays to find food (foraging) and would feed them by dropping food in front of them so they learnt.  She would also protect them and introduce them to the flock.  If you artificially incubate you will have to use a method of husbandry to replace a broody's attention.  This basically means a secure housing which provides heat and food untill they are able to find food and feed themselves and are fully feathered (fledged).  Some of the heat sources which are used are known as brooders but they are just part of the husbandry requirements you will need.

Below a Spangled Orloff hen extends a protective wing over a member of her brood while a Welsummer and Cream Legbar look on.  In this case a L/F Vorwerk chick who is getting a bit too big for mum!

Traditionally heat lamps are used for most brooders where you have 6 plus birds.  A high walled enclosure (400 to 600 mm is OK and this can be covered with a net to stop them flying out as they get older) preferably round so there are no corners to trap the chicks should they cram together.  I use an octagon I made from old wardrobe doors which I cover with rigid plastic netting the sort you can use as edging around flower beds.  I make 3 panels by weaving a garden cane into a 1.5 metre or so length of it and use these to cover the octagon from around 3 weeks age when they start to become more flighty.  

The enclosure should not be fully enclosed but ventillated at the top.   Make sure the heat source heats a hot spot of around 37deg C initially with a temperature gradient towards the outside.  They need to be able to move away from the heat source if they get too hot.  If they are always huddled directly under it, it's too cold, or always round the outside, it's too hot.   Aim for a even distribution around the source.  They will find the temperature which suits them by moving in or out.  Raise the heat source gradually so they can be off heat by 5 weeks.  Towards the end turn off the heat source during the day and just have on at night if in an outhouse, which is always best in my view.

Using purpose made  chick feeders with chick crumbs ( I prefer medicated feed which guards against cocci) and drinkers I find better than improvising using dishes etc .  These invariably become fouled with droppings or wet the chicks whereas purpose made ones are designed to minimise these problems.  Raise them up as the birds get bigger to above vent height and discourage them from perching on them by having a lid or covered roof.

Provide the chicks with things to explore and play with so they stay active and don't develop bad habits like feather pecking.  An old CD suspected on a string or a perch or boxes to clamber on are all appreciated.  Keep the litter clean and provide clean water daily and blow any shavings off their feed and keep free of droppings.  Watch the birds for balls of droppings forming round their claws or their vents and gently remove using water to soften it first.

HF

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 16:17 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 21:36 »
OOOh you've got such a way with words HF!  Couldn't have put it better myself, except that I start the brooder temperature at 35.5degees C as recommended to me by the Hatchery, and reduce it by around 2C every week for 4 weeks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 21:44 »
love the protective mum photo HF  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 22:03 »
does anyone have a picture of using one of the electric hens?  Because I have one and I've never used it and not totally sure how it would work with the wire and everything...  :unsure:
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 37 queries.