Getting children to help

• 17 Replies

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: Getting children to help
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 22:22 »
My kids when they were young, as much as they liked their own tools and planting etc loved digging for treasure.

Bits of coloured stone, rusty nails, broken pots, the odd coin etc. Free weeding and lots off fun!!!!!! Couldn't wait to get home and show it all off.

My grandson is 3 this year, maybe i'll bury some old coins etc and startall over again :D :D

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06 »
I have two daughters aged 11 and nearly 13.  I have had my allotment 6 yrs and my children have spent a lot of time there with me each spring and summer.  They have had there own tools and have helped me plant/sow....but i can't say they really enjoy gardening, but they do know what veg plants are which and what is is season.

They enjoy picking things and eating things while they are there and have had lots of fun in the past riding their bikes, playing with water pistols, making mud pies and catching insects....the games we played in the past but children aren't allowed to play now incase they get dirty etc (which is very sad).

I hoping that they will remember what i do and in the future become interested in growing their own fruit and veg-i was never interested in my dads allotment but growing veg was obviously ingrained into my brain somewhere, as years later i have  become addicted.

Thrift

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 12:56 »
My mother used to show me how to make miniature gardens on a tray. There would be a little mirror for a pool and then the rest was built up with stones and gravel. Foliage was little bits of shrub etc. I can't remember the flowers but I'm sure there was something.

Makes me want to do one now!  :D

xx
RE growing with children

Started by rosyapple on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 15, 2020, 20:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
PLEASE HELP...Children Walking Over Plot... HELP !!!

Started by Jabba2006 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 07:40
by loubylou29
xx
children's plot ideas?

Started by jellybean on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 11:20
by owein

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 27 queries.