Supermarket Veg

• 44 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Supermarket Veg
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 13:18 »
The best sweetcorn I ever grew was when I'd popped into the local Co-op,a dnsaw they were selling off thier seeds at 3 pakcets for £1.  one of the packets was sweetcorn.  According to my book it was a bit late to sow them, but I thought well I'll try!

I make a block of 12, dug 12 little holes, put a cane in each one with a seed, covered the holes in and kept it watered.  I had 12 lovely cobs, but since then, doing it properly, I've not had such a good crop!

But nothing in the supermarket tastes like the real thing because they are grown for the keeping qualities, rather than taste.  Weare lucky that we have a good farm shop up the road sellin locally grown veg when I run out of my own.

But I hate shop tomatoes!!!

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 13:37 »
Peas straight from the pod, ya cant beat 'em.

And radishes, leeks and....... everything!!!!!
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

stompy

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 14:16 »
We grew peas last year at home in a pot up canes and string.
We never even cooked them, straight out of the pod into our mouths.
Grace our littlest 3 now, asked if she could have some more of the green sweets, she loved podding them as much as eating them  :D

They were so sweet, the reason i never chose peas is because frozen peas are also very good so the contrast wasn't as great as the winter tomatoes.
I refuse to eat tomatoes out of season now as they are so bad.

Andy

TheSpartacat

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 17:26 »
All of em?

But especially peas, new potatoes (shop ones just arent "new" after a few weeks in storage), strawberries, cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots.
I'm looking forward to trying sweetcorn this year. Ordered Golden Bantam... :)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 18:41 »
Sweetcorn with PSB a very close 2nd :)

Jen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 19:08 »

I'm with the everything crowd,

I don't buy salad stuff in winter,
     it's just tastless.

Roll on spring and summer!!       

solway cropper

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 20:06 »
I can't imagine anything coming from a supermarket tasting better than veg picked straight from my plot. I'm putting up with flavourless watery cucumbers at the moment simply because I love tuna and cucumber sarnies with fresh black pepper. :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 23:23 »
peas, spuds and carrots
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 00:04 »
potatoes, esp new, nothing to beat that digging and cooking asap, add butter. what can beat that?

paintedlady

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 05:38 »
Definitely sweetcorn, carrots & peas (& sugar snap) high on my list for flavour, but value for money - courgettes ...  I rarely buy any supermarket veg and grow all my own to reduce my shopping bill.  It comes as a bit of a shock each time I pass the fresh veg stall to see what is being charged for vegetables. 

Re: poor sweetcorn yield (ie, uneven kernels) are possibly due to the weather.  I always get jittery when it is forecast rain (especially days and days of unrelenting rain) just as  the pollen head is thrown up as this would definitely prevent good pollination.  As for only one cob, that would most likely be down to variety
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 07:15 »
Interestingly we have had quite a few complaints, from our younger members :), about the lack of taste of Supermarket veg this winter.

I'm sure the Supermarket hasn't changed, the difference is we have now been growing our own veg (in a "significant" manner) for three years, and the last year, or two, I have got the planning pretty much right so we have had plenty-without-too-much-glut.

So we have had good tasting veg ... and now when my DW pays a kings ransom for a punnet of strawberries or raspberries in the middle of December (Why on EARTH do we need those?  Sorry ... different story), or a Cucumber "because the kids love cucumber" it mostly does not get eaten.

Going to have to treat DW same was as the the kids I reckon.  Its your punnet, you finish it ...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 09:14 »
Mmmm, I love strawberries.  Don't grow them myself anymore, but we have a PYO field down the road.  We get what we can afford from there, then go without until the following year.  No one grows strawbs like the British!!!!

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 09:41 »
Strawberries - the rubbish strawberries in the supermarkets lack all sense of flavour, and at SUCH a high cost. A kind of "let's whack high prices on tasteless mush for the customers as it's summer and after all they keep coming back for more...".

Carrots - home grown carrots are MILES away from those you can buy. The ones in supermarkets that come with their tops are just about acceptable, though.

Sweetcorn - they are ok when bought but nothing like the "real thing"
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

8doubles

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 09:57 »
The veg i miss the most is without a doubt home grown tomatoes.
Sweetcorn and peas are better homegrown but for me are a short seasoned crop so i get used to fast frozen type.

I really miss good fresh tomatoes as the supermarket ones are not worth eating.The only option is to eat tinned plum toms which are normally good.

savbo

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 09:59 »
still have about 20 portions of part-stewed toms in bottom of freezer...good tinned italian plum toms are excellent but it's just not the same!

xx
Supermarket Basil

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 21:44
by Armleywhite
xx
Supermarket Leeks

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 16:57
by N.WalesIdealist
xx
Supermarket Garlic

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2022, 15:32
by Snow
xx
Supermarket herbs

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 09:37
by JayG

Page created in 0.571 seconds with 30 queries.