Fox traps

• 26 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Fox traps
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:44 »
After losing 5 of my ducks last night, OH wants to get a fox trap (to set after the girls have gone to bed, and to remove before I let them out in the morning) He's seen a humane trap for £150......Is there any that work like a mouse / rat trap and snap to kill? Or where can I get something cheaper than £150....My girls are worth that to me, Its just i havent got it spare this time of year  :(
If I do end up having to get a humane trap, Where / how to do I go about setting it free?

craig1981

• Experienced Member
Re: Fox traps
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:55 »
As far as im aware foxes can locate where they used to live kind of like homing pigeons so even if you did catch and remove the fox many miles from where you live it could find its way back . Also even if you did get it to stay away the area would just be taken over by another fox anyway . The best thing in my opinion is further fox proofing

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:02 »
If you catch a poultry killing fox in a cage trap why would you want to set it free to become a problem elsewhere and off its territory?
I think you need a professional pest controller to handle the problem or spend the cash on fencing.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07 »
If you do purchase a humane trap you must also be prepared to destroy the fox or have someone on hand who will do it.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19 »
whereas I appreciate its gutting losing animals to Mr Fox, please don't get a trap.  They can suffer long agonising deaths and the traps can trap other animals such as pet cats. 

Better spend the money on better fencing and fox proofing.
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

Spana

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:55 »
I think you are more likely to catch an urban fox in a trap than a country one.

If you are in the country dont waste your money, they need to set up properly- best buried underground so its like  a den- and left in position  for yonks. They need to be checked twice a day at least and that could go on for months.  Then you'll have to be very lucky and by then all your ducks will be gone, and if you did catch one you will  have the horrible job of killing it.   Not easy to do to any animal caught in a trap .
Find a person with a gun whos a good shot, will be cheaper, quicker and cleaner.

My ducks live a semi wild existence and i have really good fencing but occasionally we get a fox that can jump like a race horse.  Then we resort to the chap with a gun who knows what hes doing.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:32 »
Thanks for the replies, Logic wasnt working at the time. Good job you lot did that bit for me.
The fencing is fine, Not much I can do to make it better 6ft high all round my garden, Part of my run has a roof, but part of it is 30ft wide......How do i put a roof on that!!! :wacko:

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:33 »
You cannot set it free again.... its illegal..... once caught it has to be destroyed humanely (gun is ok!")

I have a fox trap but although I have set it several times, baited with a dead quail, the fox has been cunning enough to get the quail through the bars and not actually go into the trap.

I spent one particularly uncomfortable night listening to it trying to dig its way out of the cage after the door dropped shut...... hours and hours of guilt...... When it was light enough and late enough in the morning to acutally shoot it I found that it wasnt digging out ..... It was trying to dig IN!!!!

The door had dropped shut and the fox was still outside, but very cross at being denied its quaily dinner!!!

I havent set it since :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:35 »
Could you run an electric wire around the perimeter of the top of the run..... jutting out a couple of inches so that anything that scales the side of the run will have to negotiate a zapp!!

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 11:54 »
I could, but would it harm next doors cat?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:58 »
only the once  ;), once the cat has had a little buzz it will not visit that area again, but will know where is safe for it to venture whereas the fox will keep coming back.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Spana

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 12:08 »
One strand of electric  wire will work well, but put it at the bottom about 6-10inches above the ground.  If you put it at the top the fox wont be earthed when he touches it and it wont zap him.
Dont worry about the cats, if it gets them it wont harm them and they will only touch it the once.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 12:27 »
Has anyone got any links to where I can get 1 strand electric wire? Im only finding poultry electric fencing, looks like green chicken wire but mesh? (to be honest Im not really sure what im looking for)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 12:31 »
try ringing these people up - they may be able to help  :)

http://www.rutland-electric-fencing.co.uk/pdfs/horseponyguide.pdf

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 12:34 »
Thanks Joy

xx
fly traps

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 09:59
by dollybird
xx
rat traps

Started by dennis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 15:11
by dennis
xx
Fly Traps

Started by Chick Chick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 11:03
by joyfull
xx
Fenn Traps

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 10:33
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 38 queries.