Lemon curd

• 21 Replies

chrissie B

Re: Lemon curd
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 10:54 »
i love lemon curd and make mine in the microwave and also put it in the thick greek yoghurt  yummy its a bit tarter but at least you know whats gone into it .
chrissie b :D
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Junie

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 11:39 »
@ MOS, there wasn't anything drastically wrong with it, it was just a bit flat.  Even dividing a 3 egg quantity of victoria sponge between two tins (one 8 in and one  7 inch d'oh... that's another story!) resulted in cakes not much more than half an inch deep.

It's the flour... Most of the flour available here is plain, and I used to have such hit and miss results adding baking powder that I resorted to buying the "cake flour" which has a raising agent in it, but the results are so spotty between the brands.

Then again, I made a great chocolate cake, same marg, sugar, flour, eggs, and it turned out perfect, but the lemon...

Anyway, once sandwiched and iced with feather icing it didn't look too bad - wouldn't win any shows, but it certainly disappeared quickly at work!
\

I use the patisserie flour, but always have to use extra baking powder to make anything rise.  I'm not sure it has any or much raising agent in, but is just a finer type of flour,

gardengnome

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57 »
Amazing lemon curd recipe here:
http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/52-microwave-lemon-or-lime-curd

It takes 6 minutes to do and it tastes amazing!  Can def recommend.
Rach x

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 05:19 »
Thanks for that quick lemon curd recipe, gardengnome!  I just tried it for the first time and I will be using it again.  I don't think it will ever replace my basic lemon curd recipe but it is certainly a quick, low-volume standby if you want it for a dessert topping etc.

I divided the recipe in half so it was:
1 lemon
1 egg

55g sugar (I used ordinary sugar, not caster sugar)
30g butter
My other variation is that I grated a little of the lemon zest into it as well, because I like the added flavour and texture.
I put everything into a 2-cup capacity glass measuring jug, and cooked it in 30-second bursts until it was thick, whisking between each zap.  Done.

So quick and easy!  And such a small quantity that I poured it all into a little glass jam dish, ready for popping on the table for morning toast.

By the way I never have a problem with my usual recipe curdling - maybe because I make it in a glass bowl set on top of a pot of boiling water so the curd never gets too hot.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:20 by Lindeggs »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 08:42 »
If you like lemon curd, give this a try.  It's from the River Cottage preserves cookbook and is yum  :)

Bramley Lemon Curd - yields 5 x 225g jars

450g bramleys - peeled cored and chopped
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons (100 ml strained juice - I needed 2 lemons to get 50 ml for a half quantity batch, so have a couple of spare lemons around)
125g unsalted butter
450g granulated sugar
4-5 large eggs - well beaten and sieved (200 ml egg)

Cook the apples with the zest and 100 ml water until soft and beat to a puree with a spoon
Put the butter, sugar, lemon juice and apples in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
When the butter melts and before the mixture gets too hot, whisk in the eggs
Stir over a gentle heat for 9-10 mins until thick and creamy, then put into sterilsed jars

Keeps 4 weeks and needs to go in the fridge once opened, but you won't have any storage issues as it will call to you from the fridge  ;) You can swap gooseberries for the apple, but haven't tried that version yet.

Poolfield2

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 23:03 »
That sounds great and it will make the costly ingredients go further and I still have loads of stewed apple I bottled last year. Thank you!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 11:22 »
I like the idea of the gooseberries in it. I'll have to give that a go next year  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Lemon Curd

Started by retiredatlast on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2017, 09:55
by mumofstig
xx
Lemon curd

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

43 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 18:13
by chrissie B
xx
Lemon curd

Started by ohsocute on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 18:54
by chrissie B
xx
Lemon or Lime curd.

Started by JaK on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 11:19
by JaK

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 29 queries.