Injectable Tyaln results......

• 5 Replies

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Injectable Tyaln results......
« on: November 28, 2010, 20:56 »
I decided in the end to use the Injectable Tylan which I bought for the myco birds that hadnt responded to the soluble tylan.

Well I must say that after umming and ahhing about its safety, I decided that as they would have to be culled due to their swollen pus filled eyes :( I might as well use it anyway :)

Well after two injections two days apart and a couple more days to absorb the stuff..... they are all better!!!

I feel bad for ignoring the advice of the manufacturer, as I was told that it would cause muscle damage and possible death.... But good for the hens as it means they will stay alive :)

Even my lovely salmon hen whos eye disappeared into her head,... and I thought it had burst.... is back to being her beautiful self :)

I am so pleased and wanted to share this incase anyone else is having the same dilemma that I had 10 days ago.

Injecting was also not as bad as I thought it would be.... :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

kulashaker

Re: Injectable Tyaln results......
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 22:32 »
Just culled my first hen after she didn't respond to the 7 day course of antibiotics the vet prescribed and then another week of using soluble Tylan.

She hadn't eaten since the day we found her limping and would only drink rarely when encouraged to do so, I did find that as she was culled the crop emptied out and still had undigested corn and grass from the lawn from when she last was well?

I've had my hens since October and they are new POL hens fully vacinated but I still have no idea what may have been the cause of illness as the other 4 are at the moment still fine and laying well. I would've done exactly the same as you had I know about injectable Tylan, is it easy to obtain and if so how would I get some should anything similar happen?

Dean.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 23:30 »
Well Kulashaker there no reason to suppose that injectable Tylan would have worked for your chicken anyway since chuckiechucks hen sounds like it was suffering from a Mycoplasma infection which is respiratory.  Whereas your chicken sounds like it had sour crop.  You weren't feeding grass cuttings were you?  A/Bs won't solve a crop binding problem which is caused by a physical blockage.
HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:03 »
Kulashaker, Tylan is an antibiotic and can only be obtained through a vet. The vet will need to see the bird before giving you any. As you have only just started out keeping chickens it would be wise not to start self diagnosing but to get advice before any problems get worse until you are more confident in your diagnosis. I realise you took your chicken to a vets but always take them back if they don't respond to treatment - there are lots of antibiotics and some will work for one illness but not for others. By the time a chicken shows signs of illness they are often very ill as they try to hide illnesses as much as possible.

Try looking at this section for lots of information and help:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=13.0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:27 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

kulashaker

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 18:56 »
I wasn't feeding the chooks grass cutting, they just seem to enjoy eating the grass when they are let out. I'll look up sour crop as I've not heard it mentioned before. As for taking her back to the vet... not so sure (as heartless as it sounds) spending another £40 minimum is worth the time or trouble for a £12 bird. Maybe if she was a prize winning golden goose perhaps? The vet did say bring her back and we'll x-ray to which I thought 'of course you will'!

We had a second opinion from the place we bought the chooks from and things didn't sound good from her experience which is when we started the Tylan. I would advise in my opinion that anyone keeping chickens should learn how to cull them properly and avoid vets bills or are we all to far removed from the basics in todays day and age?

Just a thought.

Dean.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 21:58 by kulashaker »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 19:36 »
rather than let any animal suffer they should be taken to a vet to get treatment, it is part of being a responsible owner. The same goes for dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

xx
Results all round

Started by slowef on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:10
by slowef
xx
Results! Thanks to all for help and advice

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 13:10
by LittleRedHen
xx
Post Mortem results

Started by stella on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 15:49
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 1.204 seconds with 32 queries.