Post Mortem results

• 19 Replies

stella

Post Mortem results
« on: July 23, 2008, 19:26 »
Hi

I posted that before that we have now lost 2 chickens since we bought them alledgedly as POLS about 7 weeks ago. The first one died 2 weeks ago, the other a couple of days ago. They have been ill on and off since we bought them with various symptoms ranging from eye infections, coughing, sneezing, watery diarrhoea, blooming diarrhoea etc....

Well it seems that coccidiosis is the culprit, and caused liver failure in the 2 that died. I have only had a brief conversation with the vet today - will get a full PM report in the next couple of days. the vet thinks they are highly likely to have had the condition when we bought them, and this increased their susceptibility to other illnesses - hence why they have been ill on and off since we got them.

The 4 we have left are now on medication which hopefully will see them through this. I will speak to the vet again, but I was wondering if anyone has experience of birds recovering from this and how their lives were? Do they fully recover? Do they become more susceptible to illness or do they become stronger as a result? Are the eggs ok to eat?

At least now we know what we are dealing with, andI'd really appreciate if anyone has any advice. Hopefully we will get more detail of the type of coccidiosis when we get the report as a quick search on the net seemed to suggest there are different types?

Thank you

Stella

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Post Mortem results
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 20:48 »
Bad luck Stella  :(  

I'd be asking for a refund from the supplier, sale of goods act etc does cover animals I believe.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Porffor

Post Mortem results
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 21:24 »
Such a shame you've had to endure all this. :( Would also be asking for a refund, at least the vets report should help!

too many girls

Post Mortem results
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 22:12 »
ask for your money back Stella, i would.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Post Mortem results
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 22:27 »
so sorry Stella.I would take the report to show them when you ask for your money back.By rights I think they should pay your vet bills too.I hope they take notice of you & treat their chickens.
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Foxy

Post Mortem results
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 22:30 »
aww so sorry, although its good to know why probably still very upsetting. you did all you could for them, sounds like they prob had had it already unless you have been intensively keeping chickens which somehow I dont think so.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Post Mortem results
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 22:36 »
Sorry to hear this Stella but as you say, at least you now know what you're dealing with.

I'd deffinately speak with the supplier about this for a refund - also to let them know that the disease is in their flock so that they can do something about it (if they care that is)

Sorry, can't help with your questions as I haven't any experience with coccidiosis in my little flock but others may be along soon who know more.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Post Mortem results
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 22:55 »
How terribly sad and I hope the other four girls will be ok. I would be asking for my money back too and compo to cover the vet bill.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Post Mortem results
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 23:28 »
None of my hens have ever had coccidiosis either, but yes, you should ask for a refund and compo for vets bills.

stella

Post Mortem results
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 10:41 »
Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Once I get the report I will take a copy and send it to the supplier along with a letter and see what he has to say.

You're right Foxy, we don't, and never have intensively kept chickens. We haven't had any for 3 years, and before we got these ones, we  built a brand new enclosure and house for them to use when they are not in the garden. We can only let them in the garden when we are home, but their enclosure is the about 50 foot x 15 foot, so they don't do too badly!

The other 4 chickens look quite bright today, but I have to say I am very worried. I have read all sorts of unpleasant things on the internet about the long term effects of coccidiosis such as not laying well, intestinal problems, slow growth and development etc. It does seem quite nasty.

All we can do is look after them the best we can and hope the remaining 4  have a nice life with us! :)

Stella

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Post Mortem results
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 12:20 »
I wonder if that's what my friend's chooks had which I mentioned earlier?  When they died Stella, did they go stiff very quickly?  That's what the vet told Finn, but he just said they had a very nasty internal parasite.

He's now lost all 40 chooks he bought off this woman, and she won't even talk to him about it.  They started to die a week after he got them home!!!  and 3 weeks later, they are now all dead, including 3 of our Babcoks' and 3 of his own chicks, but hers were dying first, so they've obviously got it off her hens.

I tell people to steer clear of her now!

stella

Post Mortem results
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:36 »
Hi again

Well I don't know what 'normal' is, but I last saw Shelby at 9.30am, and she was standing up and eating, although obviously weak and had just passed diarrhoea with a little blood in it. I then had to go to the office where I made an appt at the vets for her. I got back at 1pm and she had died and yes, she was already very stiff. I was surprised as although she was weak, she didn't look like she was about to die if you know what I mean.

hope that is helpful, will let you know more once I get the full report.

Stella

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Post Mortem results
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 14:08 »
Sorry about your chucks stella, but it's obviously your innate compassion that is showing through by being upset - otherwise you'd have necked 'em and bought more! I commend you for that!

Thought this may be useful read?

http://www.organic-vet.reading.ac.uk/Poultryweb/disease/coccid/coccid1.htm

best of luck with the rest of your girls!!

mumsy

Post Mortem results
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 20:33 »
I am really worrying now, as my last two were from the same supplier  :cry:  Bought on 28 June, would they be ill by now?
 What do I do???? Holly, one that I have had since Jan was poorly & hasn't laid for over two weeks..all seem very healthy at the moment, all eating, drinking, no abnormal poo, would appreciate some help.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Post Mortem results
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 21:54 »
I think you can dose them as a precaution Mumsy but just wait until one of the more experienced keepers post  :)

xx
Results all round

Started by slowef on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:10
by slowef
xx
Results! Thanks to all for help and advice

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 13:10
by LittleRedHen
xx
Injectable Tyaln results......

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 19:36
by joyfull
xx
Hello 1st Post

Started by Carolann on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 12:20
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 31 queries.