Moulting girls

• 8 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Moulting girls
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:07 »
hi all, 2 of my girls are going through a moult, could i ask wot does everyone provide for their girls when their moulting as in vitamins etc etc to help them through it, or can they just be left to get on with it.   Many thanks  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Moulting girls
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:20 »
I leave mine to get on with it as they are on a good quality feed, however others add fish cat food or things like poultry spice to their feed  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:03 »
I sometimes add a bit of poultry spice to my girls food.  Otherwise they have been left to get on with it.  Out of the 4 hens that lay I am only getting one egg from the same hen about once every two or three days.  All their combs have gone pale except for the one who is laying - she is very slowly moulting her bigger feathers.  Have you had this with your girls Nicky?  Have yours stopped laying? 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:10 »
they usually do stop whilst having a full moult so that all their energy goes into producing new feathers  :)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:57 »
hiya carol,,, same with my girls, i have two in moult, only getting 1 egg a day from one of the hybrids thats not moulting.   Tinas my legbar is having a full on moult, her comb is pale aswell, My barnie Nessa is now moulting she look ever so tiny now shes lost most of her feathers bless !!!!!!!   How long does a moult generally take x

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 14:56 »
So far, none of mine have done a full moult.  They have looked pretty bare around the rear and underneath but the other feathers have come out slowly.  There were feathers everywhere but they all seem to be taking it in turns to have a moult.  The hen thats laying has lost some feathers but not very many.  The first one to start moulting started several weeks ago and isn't quite finished.  You can still see some spiky feather tips around her head.  She hasn't laid for weeks.  I was worried as their combs as they have gone pale and apart from one no eggs but they seem absolutely fine and I am putting it down to the moult and the colder weather.  They have been wormed, de loused, coop sprayed for red mite and louse powder for louse.  They are getting acv in their water.  The trouble is it has been miserable and wet here as Nicky knows.  I hope your girls grow their feathers soon as its due to get colder soon. :(

evie2

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 19:49 »
Star our Sussex, looks like one of those bare neck chickens just now ::) Tallulah looks like an exploded eiderdown and the bantams look half plucked :lol:

Haven't given them anything yet but I'm thinking about adding a little poultry spice to their food  :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 20:15 »
Hiya Nicky. My girls are going through a full moult too and we are getting 2 eggs a day from 7 girls.  Our welsummer has lost all her flight fleahers and looks almost ready for the oven :blink: :blink: Our Legbar hasn't laid an egg for about 3 months now and she too is looking pale but I think all her feathers are back now.  Hope yours get over the mouldt soon

Ma xx

Knight Family

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 20:22 »
yep same here the pen looks like a fox has got in there! all girls that are laying are moulting and the pols are just 18 to 20 weeks old. So I've had 3 eggs in 2 weeks out of 17 girls and 8 of them should be laying!!!!
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

xx
MOULTING?

Started by rgp5454 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 22:52
by muntjac
xx
Moulting

Started by debih on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 08:43
by Casey76
xx
Are they moulting?

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 21:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
Moulting?

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 19:50
by Mother-Hen

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 30 queries.