Can Hens eat Sugarbeet?

• 11 Replies

Chicken star

Can Hens eat Sugarbeet?
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:38 »
I have two horses so i usually have a bit of sugar beet left over from their feeds.
Can hens eat sugarbeet?
I know no animal can eat it raw i mean after it has been soaked after 24 hours.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Can Hens eat Sugarbeet?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:38 »
personally I wouldn't feed it to them but then again have never thought about it so will wait and see what others have to say. Why do you have to soak it? We have a small pile of it outside work left over from the beet harvest (which this year seemed very small compared to previous years) and the rats and rabbits seem to eat it raw.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:50 »
Hi,
I also have horses and would like to know this.
Pol
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:59 »
Hi Joyfull,
sugar beet that you feed horses is a dried food and it needs to be soaked before you give it to them because if not it well swell in the horses stomach and can them make very ill.
I have found a site (Effect of increasing levels of sugar beet pulp in broiler chicken by D Petterson)
Pol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:04 »
so it's the dried version then of the stuff we have at work I assume. I know cattle can eat the fresh beet, and I suppose chickens could eat a little bit like they can other root vegetables (but not much - just use as a treat) although I wonder if you would have to cook it like you do potatoes. As you can tell I am not a horsey person (went to riding lessons when young) but had a bad experience when in my 30's with a very aggressive horse (which I know is rare)so now stay clear of them

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:24 »
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with that horse.
If fresh sugar beet is used I think you would have to cook it like you would with potatoes with the dry you just add water cold or warm and only feed has a treat in the mash

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06 »
I thought that the beet would be a by-product from refining and would be low in sugar but i see that some of it has molasses added afterwards.

The less layer pellets the hens eat the more chance there is of thin shelled eggs or other dietary problems.You probably won`t stop them thieving some beet but i would not encourage it. :)

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 14:50 »
my uncle's hens freerange and last year unbeknown to him took a particular liking to the sugarbeet planted the otherside of his boundary hedge, this was until a farmworker stopped by and advised him of the fact,  :D :D, when we had a look they had stripped a patch 30' x 100' of foliage, so fact-they love the foliage not sure about the actual beet, we couldn't see through tears of laughter, suffice to say the hens were confined to barracks until the harvest. Apologies to said farmer.

greendog

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 20:43 »
 i give mine swiss chard which is one of the beet family and they love it obviously this is the leaves so i suppose they would enjoy the sugar beet tops

Chicken star

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:51 »
Thanks everyone.
I'm going back up to the horses soon so i'll give them a little bit and let you know what they think of it :)

Chicken Star

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 09:55 »
It is likely that it is fodder beet that is being fed to the cattle it looks similar but has a lower sugar content. I often pick up fodder beet that has fallen of the farm trailers when it is being transported - my horse loves it and it keeps him occupied in his stable.

Dried sugar beet needs soaking for about 24 hours in five times the beet volume of water - all of which it soaks up. There are some products on the market that do not require this length of time but are more expensive. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Chicken star

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 20:30 »
Just to let you all know i gave my hens a little bit of the Sugar beet and they loved it. They haven't had any side affects as of yet.
I think it's safe to say that sugar beet in small doses that have been soaked is safe for chooks.

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 29 queries.