planting raspberries

• 3 Replies

Sue32

• Experienced Member
planting raspberries
« on: November 14, 2010, 13:33 »
Just moved to a new house and I'm about to convert part of my lawn to fruit.  I want 3 *  rows of raspberries (3 varieties).  My soil is about 4" of lawn / topsoil then its stoney/shale.  Very tough to dig and little goodness.

How far apart should the  rows be?  I don't want take up more lawn than I have to.

Can I just dig a trench where the rows of fruit will go and fill with good stuff - if so how wide since I know they spread. Should  I leave a path between the rows Or do I need to dig over the whole area?

thanks for any help and wise words
trying to be green except when blue

daisy1990

Re: planting raspberries
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 14:57 »
when I did a similar thing I double dug a trench about a spade width and two spades deep.  I dug in home produced compost and dug out stones.  I planted the canes about 10 inches apart and tied them in (post at each end of the trench and wires a foot apart). I had great success with Autumn bliss rasperries and another variety whose name I forget.  I would leave enough room between rows to walk between
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 17:34 »
thanks Daisy, I'll give it a go.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 14:06 »
It's easy to think you don't need much space between rows when you're planting the twigs, but I think 6 foot between rows is the minimum so that you can get between then once they're fully grown. I dug two foot wide trenches which I keep weed free and mulched and then laid paving slabs between the rows. You still get a few canes pushing up through the gaps, but it's quite managable.

xx
Planting raspberries

Started by Firstyear on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 17:48
by Firstyear
xx
Planting Raspberries

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 15:33
by ianl
xx
Planting raspberries....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 16:48
by mumofstig
xx
Planting strawberries next to raspberries

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 13:20
by ianl

Page created in 1.197 seconds with 28 queries.