Planting Raspberries

• 2 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
Planting Raspberries
« on: January 09, 2012, 14:26 »
Hi, I've just got a new allotment. Luckily it was given to me as bare earth which I have just turned over. I've just received my raspberries in the post and could have done with them delivered friday! My question is how long will they keep in the bag as I dont really want to have to go to the allotment tonight and plant them in the dark!
Also, do I need to add anything to the soil - nutrients etc or shall I let the frost just do it's work? There are plenty of worms.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 15:18 »
Assuming your plants are bare-rooted, if they aren't going to get planted until the weekend they would be better off stuffed in a pot with some damp soil or compost to cover the roots (or "heeled in" in the garden if that's a possibility.)

They will hopefully remain where planted for many years so it's worth preparing the soil for them, even though they're not very demanding. Weed-free, free-draining soil with some manure or compost added is what they like, and a bit of fertiliser wouldn't go amiss either to get them off to a good start.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ianl

• Experienced Member
Re: Planting Raspberries
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 15:33 »
Thanks for that advice. I'll put them in a bucket with some compost tonight.

xx
Planting raspberries....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 16:48
by mumofstig
xx
planting raspberries

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 14:06
by Nobbie
xx
Planting raspberries

Started by Firstyear on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2019, 17:48
by Firstyear
xx
Planting strawberries next to raspberries

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 13:20
by ianl

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 36 queries.