Wet run

• 35 Replies

stujem

Wet run
« on: November 09, 2010, 00:53 »
Hi everyone, it has been raining so much lately that my girls run is so wet and muddy, are my girls going to be alright in there wet run? There is no grass left only a very wet muddy run. There is a cover on the run so they are not getting themselves wet but the floor is wet and muddy. Will there feet have any problems having been in water and mud all day? Any help would be most grateful.
Stu

hillfooter

Re: Wet run
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:53 »
With in reason they will be ok but if it's too bad I'd look at some way to spare them.

You can use a 4 - 6inch deep run floor covering of well rotted shreddings (called forest mulch sometimes available free or just delivery) or wood chips (not shavings).  If you use bark make sure it's well ventillated and doesn't grow molds.

A very good alternative is slatted duck boards and you can also use walkways made from pallets cut in half (you may need to modify them after cutting so they don't collapse).  Using slatted duckboard "mats" over forest mulch will stop the mud from being padddled.

Keep the house doorway DRY with duckboards and a covered entrance so no mud is trailed in the house and use a deep shavings covering on the floor walk ways to clean and dry their feet and stop the eggs from getting too dirty.  Dble click photo, note covered porch run with suspended feeder and slatted duckboard floor.

HF

Covered run.jpg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:27 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:23 »
How big is the run?

Ours is around 6' x 9' so not huge, and so to dry up the puddles I useds some shavings and then covered the run area with woodchip.  Then laid tarp over the top to stop more rain getting in - this isn't ideal as it darkens the run somewhat, but the clear plastic sheets I had been using failed me and started to let water in.

I've found that they cope ok being wet and muddy, but it's not nice, and then end up walking the mud into the house which means more frequent cleaning and a damper living environment.

If you have a really big run and it'll cost too much to woodchip it all then at least a partial covering should offer some respite?

Holly Carney

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:47 »
Our run is 8'x12' and we have hardwood woodchips which work really well and it only cost us about £30 to cover the whole run in chips, it needs topping up every so often or completely cleaning out and replacing but is a cost effective way of keeping thier feet dry. we can walk in our run so our concern was also us falling over in the slippy mud!
You should try and get hardwood chips rather than bark as they are safer for the birds (apparently) we got ours from b&q for about £5 a bag.
I agree with the tarp covering to and we have also done this to keep the girls and the coop dry, we cover the whole run in the winter months and then pull it back in the summer to cover about a 3rd so the sun gets in but their is still shelter!

They can get problems with their feet if always standing in the wet and mud so its definatley better for them to be dry!

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:47 »
The problem with shreddings, wood chip and bark particular is that they can grow molds which when they dry, fruit and produce clouds of spores.  Chickens encounter spores all the time when foraging so some exposure can't be avoided but in poorly ventilated and confined spaces it can become too concentrated and seriously damage their respiratory system.  There's a nasty infection called Aspergillosis see http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis which hardwood chips are particularly prone to causing.  This is why I said keep well ventillated and watch out for mold growth.  Never use these materials in the house.

Disinfect the surface ocassionally with a dry powder disinfectant or an Iodine based one (Vanodine V18).

With shreddings make sure they are well rotted and don't contain anything poisonous like YEW.

It's autumn too so don't waste those free leaves on the bonfire or compost they make excellent run coverings as does dry bracken but not straw which harbour a very itchy mite (not Red Mite) and also becomes very smelly and insanitary when wet.

If your wet runs persist see your doctor :D
HF
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 00:53 by hillfooter »

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 19:37 »
We have pea gravel in the run and as run is on a slight slope any water drains away.  Have had torrential rain every night recently and it is still not muddy yet but will probably need to be topped up soon.
Jinty

evie2

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 20:46 »
We got Play Ground quality bark because we were told it was sterilised so wouldn't grow spoors, is that not correct HF?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 00:49 »
We got Play Ground quality bark because we were told it was sterilised so wouldn't grow spoors, is that not correct HF?

Excellent idea as long as whatever it was treated with (which I suspect is some sort of residual fungicide) isn't toxic to chx in any way which if for playground use I won't expect it to be.

HF

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 00:55 »

Excellent idea as long as whatever it was treated with (which I suspect is some sort of residual fungicide) isn't toxic to chx in any way which if for playground use I wouldn't expect it to be.

HF

evie2

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 20:21 »
Phew, can stop panicking now :nowink:

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:32 »
I tried to get playground chips but the cost is extortionate, have used bark instead but not happy with it at all, fine when dry but just a squidgy mess when wet.  Like the idea of duckboards though so will get some pallets for them to stand on, although I do have a couple of stands in the run for them.  alison

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 11:05 »
Love the duck boards. I am now wondering if the thick rubber matting with holes in that you see in some carpet stores might be any good. It could be hosed off easily. Just a thought. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 13:29 »
I ordered a transparent tarp today (with eyelets) to lash to the front of my walk-in run which is gettng rain lashed and wetting the Easibed. It is very see-through (I checked with Allplas) as hens do like to be able to see out, bless em

I had considered polycarb or acrylic sheets but I'd have to drill that etc so I thought lashing clear pvc sheets using the eyelets and attaching to the timber support framework of the run itself

I'll  let you know how I get on  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 15:12 »
I ordered a transparent tarp today (with eyelets) to lash to the front of my walk-in run which is gettng rain lashed and wetting the Easibed. It is very see-through (I checked with Allplas) as hens do like to be able to see out, bless em

I had considered polycarb or acrylic sheets but I'd have to drill that etc so I thought lashing clear pvc sheets using the eyelets and attaching to the timber support framework of the run itself

I'll  let you know how I get on  :)

I'd recommend bungees as tieing rope through the eyelets tends not to stop flappy which not only scares the chx but quickly frays the tarp,  Another way is to use guy line rubber ties used on tents through the eyelets to tension the tarp. I've used both approaches which are better than rope,

Best wishes
HF

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 23:39 »
Right, bungees.!  I think I have some somewhere. I'd got some green cord from the army stores that I've been using on the green tarps I've already got around part of the run but there is some flapping goes on when it's windy but I've not had any rip up to yet and it's been on quite a while  :)

I think the girls will appreciate a clear view out of the front of the run but with the shelter that it will afford.  If it's good stuff I will get another piece.  I can see me having to keep cleaning their "windows"  :D

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 37 queries.