Wet run

• 35 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Wet run
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 00:04 »
Our runs would cost us a fortune to cover in anything, so I spent all afternoon today scraping off the top 2 or 3 inches of mud so the chooks can at least walk on top of the ground instead of knee deep in the stuff!   :(

hillfooter

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 02:36 »
Love the duck boards. I am now wondering if the thick rubber matting with holes in that you see in some carpet stores might be any good. It could be hosed off easily. Just a thought. :)

Not so sure about this however what is really useful are stable mat offcuts if you can get them.   Stable mats are made from reclaimed tyres usually and are about 20 mm thick and very heavy.  When they are fitted there's always off cut strips left which are usually waste.  If you can locate a company near you which fit these mats and ask them if you can buy the off cuts they make great walkways and "paper weights" for tarps.  You can see one in the photo in my post above, the young Welsummer cockerel is standing on one.  I use them a lot for weighing down the run cover tarps mainly.

Another free walkway can be made from old rectangular lattice trellis.  If you have or know of anyone discarding old trellis made from 20mm square section batons they make great duckboards for chickens just make sure there's no nails sticking out.  I use these.  You might find them at tips.

Below are a collection of these ideas in my runs including the sawn in half pallets.

Best wishes
HF

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:27 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Sassy

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 09:07 »
Some brilliant idea there. Thank you :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 09:31 »
I got a catering catalogue through the door the other day and in it were rubber slatted mats of all kinds, some interlocking, which are designed for caterers who are on their feet all day. They can be hosed down. I thought they'd be just the job  :)  The catalogue was from Nisbet's

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 10:18 »
The transparent tarpaulin I ordered yesterday has been delivered already. Off to lash it to the hen run.  I'll take some pics of the finished job  :)

chickadee

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 17:50 »
after 2 years on mud ( formerly grass ) i have just finished putting rubber matting throughout my walk in new covered run, the matting  sourced from an equine/animal feed outlet it doesn't have holes to allow for drainage but i don't think that matters as it is fully cleansable and bugs may be harboured in holes on bare soil all i need now to finish off is a few more see through corrogate sheets to stop the rain blowing in and wetting the equisorb and my four girls will be cosy this winter and my life will be drier and less muddy and like hillfooter said rubber matting can be hosed.
chickens out

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 12:15 »
Well, I've got the see-through tarp and attached it with cord via the eyelets. Not found any bungees suitable yet but I'll keep looking. I think we have some in OH's car.  I don't need bungees on the see-through tarp as it's heavy!  The thinnest tarp came via the army stores I think and that does flap, hence drawing a bungee across it to stop it

The tarp is really transparent thank goodness so chooks can see out and it lets light through really well. Keeps the wet off them chooks and the Hemcore though which was the object of the exercise. The entire run has a roof but some of the sides are still uncovered to let some draught air in  :)

I'll upload a picture in due course

hillfooter

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 12:39 »
Well, I've got the see-through tarp and attached it with cord via the eyelets. Not found any bungees suitable yet but I'll keep looking. I think we have some in OH's car.  I don't need bungees on the see-through tarp as it's heavy!  The thinnest tarp came via the army stores I think and that does flap, hence drawing a bungee across it to stop it

The tarp is really transparent thank goodness so chooks can see out and it lets light through really well. Keeps the wet off them chooks and the Hemcore though which was the object of the exercise. The entire run has a roof but some of the sides are still uncovered to let some draught air in  :)

I'll upload a picture in due course

Some of the "tarps" seen in my posts are in fact Jewsons Materials bags which can be lifted when full with a fork lift trucks so are very strong.  If you cut these up they make usable tarps though the weave tends to fray a lot.  Others are old New Zealand horse rugs which my wife has an endless supply once the horses have trashed them the chx get them as house and run covers.  Insulates the house roof as well as being waterproof and nice and heavy so moderate winds don't blow them away.  I'm on the scruffy frugal side of chicken keeping not the boutique Eglu side I'm affraid! :lol:

HF

fethoboy

• live life to the full.
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 14:02 »
i use easiebed,and it rots down well.i put all my easiebed under the edge when i relpace it and the chooks scrat about in it.

steve.
call ducks for me.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 18:34 »
Slab some of it and cover it in loads of leaves! There are tones of fallen leaves about now, best floor covering going I think (except grass!). Ive also got a load of black bags full in the garage to keep dumping in there. Then it can go in the compost bin or on the fruit beds as mulch.

steve

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 21:05 »
We used polycarbonate ridged plastic sheets from B&Q to cover our run then hubby secured them by using wooden battens, the sheets are quite big so didn't cost a lot to do it.  I can now use my binoculars to see if they are all in before I go out and secure them for the night, plus I can check them during the day using the same method.  Tried B&S for hardwood chips today, but none in stock till December, what a bummer alison. :tongue2:

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 23:07 »
I use bins to keep an eye on mine too when it's pouring or I just want a quick check on them

I don't want a tatty looking hen house in my garden. Who does  :unsure:

Holly Carney

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 08:59 »
You can get bungee's from B+Q, about £3-4 for 6 i think, double end hooks and we use them very successfully on our tarps!

Sassy

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 09:34 »
Well, te]

I'm on the scruffy frugal side of chicken keeping not the boutique Eglu side I'm affraid! :lol:

HF

Don't apologise. If more people re-used things we would not have such a landfill problem. And ... whether you believe in green house gases or not the worlds resources are not infinite! If you can save money that's brilliant! :) It's amazing when you put your mind to it what you can recycle with totally unconnected uses to the original item.

Climbing off my soap box now! :blush: :blush:

Sassy

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 09:37 »
Slab some of it and cover it in loads of leaves! There are tones of fallen leaves about now, best floor covering going I think (except grass!). Ive also got a load of black bags full in the garage to keep dumping in there. Then it can go in the compost bin or on the fruit beds as mulch.

steve

Great idea but just be aware of mould spores that may build up in the bags that may be harmful to your chooks :) :ohmy:

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 28 queries.