Bark

• 4 Replies

evie2

Bark
« on: November 05, 2010, 14:02 »
My 5 chooks have done a first rate job of clearing the ground for our new veg garden.

I've put play bark down and wondered if I can dig it in when I move them or is it best to remove it altogether
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Bark
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 14:08 »
Being bark it'll break down eventually, but probably not quickly enough (veg garden for next year?) so you might want to remove it but not that thoroughly will be necessary, if you know what I mean.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 14:08 »
Why did you put it down in the first place?  "Play bark"  sounds expensive, would 'ordinary bark' have done the job?   Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

bigben

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 14:28 »
I would have thought that bark soaked in chiken poo should not take as long as normal bark to break down. Tough stuff like wood chips can mess up soil chemistry if dug in early. It "borrows" nitrogen from the soil to help it break down in the short term. A friend of mine ended up putting a couple of raised beds out of action for a season by digging in a lot of wood chip he had from having a tree shredded. Everything he tried to grow on it went yellowish suggesting lack of nitrogen.
I expect your bark will not be so bad if it has had the extra nitrogen dumped on it already. If in doubt add it to your compost bin for a year.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 14:51 »
Yep, know what you mean Lorna.  The hens'll stay there until the turn of the year, when they move I'll cover the ground until we're ready to build the raised beds (only 12 inches high) and plant up :D

Kleft, I put play bark down because it's treated so doesn't have any harmful bacteria in it and with all the rain the ground was getting quite muddy.
`
That's what I do with the bedding I use for the chooks and rabbits Ben, I changed from sawdust to Bliss because it rots down much better.

xx
Bark Chippings

Started by Limey153 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 16:09
by richyrich7
xx
Bark for paths?

Started by rink123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 15:08
by celjaci
question
Bark Chips

Started by kargus on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 15:22
by Trillium
xx
Who's eating my bark?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 23:05
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.807 seconds with 28 queries.